SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fei5aazu

I'm looking for a W&D in Boston apt (limited)

Fei5aazu
13 years ago

Hi,

What are my options to install a washer & dryer in my Boston apartment? I would put the washer about 6 feet from my kitchen sink and install a kitchen sink adapter.

I've heard about ventless dryers, but they don't seem to be well liked (at least in a 2007 thread...)

My apartment is rented and the landlord won't let me go through the exterior wall to install a dryer vent. Also, I don't think he'd let me hire an electrician to change the wiring to accommodate 220v (can I use 110v in any of the machines?).

I am sick of paying $2 per load in his crappy washing machine (and $2.50 for his dryer, that does NOT work).

Getting a dryer is not vital right now (I can hang my clothes on drying racks, it has worked fine), but I would like to get a washing machine ASAP. I do not want to spend more than $1150 on the washing machine and want something with a good warranty (so I won't need to purchase an extended warranty in the store).

I would like a quality washing machine, but I do not know which brands to consider. I'd love Miele, but I am afraid of the repair costs (and it is above my price range). I've looked at a few front loading Bosch washers and they are available for well within my price range. GE also has some. I would like a washing machine that will last years (is the 5 year obsolescence thing true), has delicate washing and takes a long time to work (so I know it actually works: My clothes when I use my friend's Miele in Europe comes out better than ever, I assume the 2 hour cycle has something to do with it).

Can someone recommend a washer for me? Is there any special electrical outlet considerations when it comes to a washer? As for a drying machine, can I get one that works on a normal (grounded) outlet?

Finally, if anyone knows of a good store in Boston to check out, I'm all ears!

Thanks!

Comments (7)