SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elizadesch

Keep or replace working 10-year old Frigidaire Gallery W/D?

elizadesch
15 years ago

We are about to remodel our garage (new drywall, lighting, door, floor coating, etc) which includes building out a new and improved laundry area. I'm planning to put in cabinets, a nice utility sink, conceal the plumbing behind drywall, and install a countertop over a front-loading washer and dryer.

We bought the house a year ago, and it came with a Frigidaire Gallery front-loading washer and dryer that the previous owner purchased in 1998. They are nothing fancy, but they seem to work decently. The only trouble I've had is some stains not coming out too well (I wash most clothes in cold water) and the dryer scorching some items.

Of course as part of my "new" laundry area, I want to have a brand new front-loading washer and dryer! There are practical reasons--I am planning to put a countertop over the washer and dryer so it needs to be built to the correct dimensions. The new washers and dryers are bigger than our current ones. Here are the other pros and cons I've come up with:

Reasons to buy new:

- Current models are 10 years old--don't know how much longer they'll last

- Will be more energy and water efficient

- Will be able to buy a gas dryer, reducing operating costs (current one is electric but contractor says we can add a gas hookup during remodel)

- MAY clean better and be more gentle on clothes

- Will offer more cycle and washing options--current ones are quite limited

- Larger capacity--current washer is around 2.7 to 3 cubic feet. Model I'm considering is 4 cubic feet.

- We have to leave the W/D when we sell the house. If we're going to buy a new one at some point I'd like to use it for as long as possible.

Reasons to keep existing

- Save $$$

- Current W/D work ok--hate to create waste by getting rid of working machines

- Newer models are required to use less water and energy--will they clean as well as these?

The last item is my biggest concern. I would absolutely hate to spend a bunch of money on a new W/D and get rid of the old ones only to discover they cleaned better than the new ones!

After extensive research on this and other sites, I am considering buying the Maytag Epic washer and dryer. Home Depot has them on sale for $809 (washer) and $782 (dryer) plus free delivery and a $150 rebate. The sale ends tomorrow, so I need to make up my mind!

I know this is a very long post, so if you've made it this far, thank you! And thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living