SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chloeasha

Interested to hear your input on these roses

chloeasha
9 years ago

Hi all! I post on and off in here every few years. Probably most/all of you won't remember me.

We've gotten a new piece of property in Jordan, and it's a mediterranean climate, at least 10a, possibly 10b. Typical winter lows are in the 40s with highs in the 60s, rains about 18-19" annually October-March/April. Summers are generally lows in the 60s with highs in the 70s and 80s. Most years it never breaks 88/89 degrees.

Soil is a clay loam that is alkaline, although not overly so.

We looked into several nurseries and the rose selection was... sad... basically red, white, or pink of the same semi-double rose.

I've started a list of things I am interested in, and I was hoping to hear your input. I won't water them in the dry months more than every other week, so it needs to be something drought tolerant. That should cover most of these though. There is a convenient clay cap about 6" below the soil in the area which basically seals in water beneath it. So once established, most people never water their gardens. In fact they never irrigate crops either which grow like weeds all through the dry season. So that is not too much of a worry.

I want to plan a smallish, ornamental garden around the patio/cistern area we will have as well as a bit all around it with sitting areas, arches, etc. So I am trying to limit my roses. Also problematic is I will need to get bands because I will have to bring them. That part is sorted out, legally.

I like three things from roses: looking good in the garden, cutting, and fragrance. They would naturally be own root.

Sweet Chariot
Souvenir de la Malmaison
Lady Hillingdon
Perdita
La France
Golden Celebration
Blush Noisette
Don Juan
White Maman Cochet Climbing
Sombreuil
Buff Beauty

So any insights on these? Thanks!