SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vickitg

What makes a book the perfect book club choice?

vickitg
17 years ago

While reading Pam's post about "stinky" book club choices, I got to wondering: What makes a book the perfect (or near-perfect) choice for book club discussion? We've had a few disappointing years recently in my book club, and a friend and I were discussing ways of improving our choices. Granted, the group's overall reading personality has much to do with whether or not a book will stimulate discussion. Some groups really go for the "destined-to-be-a-book-club-favorite" type books promoted in the press and online. But I'd like to think that most (some?) groups are capable of stretching beyond that.

Several years ago, I had my group rate the books we'd read so far. We used a scale from 1 to 5, with five being the highest praise and one the lowest. We rated books in two areas: enjoyability and discussability. We found it very interesting that the books that evoked the most discussion weren't always the ones we enjoyed the most, and vice versa. For example, most of the group loved Crazy in Alabama (I was more lukewarm on that one), but didn't find it particularly discussable. A Handmaid's Tale, on the other hand, got top scores for discussability, but didn't do so well on enjoyability. Three books that came out dead even on enjoyability and discussability were: A Yellow Raft in Blue Water by Michael Dorris, A Tale of Two Cities and Snow Falling on Cedars by David Gutterson.

This was not a very scientific process by any means. But, I guess what I'm wondering is this: A) Are there more books out there that provide both enjoyability and discussability? B) Is enjoyability an important part of the equation? (It is for me. But I can't enjoy a book if it's too lightweight.) C) In your opinion, what ingredients make for the perfect book club reading choice?

Comments (24)