SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
twobigdogs_gw

Death of a Book Club

twobigdogs
14 years ago

Hello all,

Several months ago, a few friends from town and I started a book club. The book choices were fabulous, the discussions were great, the people are kind and funny and smart and interested in discussing the book. But that's only if we meet.

IF.

I am scheduled to hostess soon. The last time I hostessed the meeting, I bought all of the normal book clubbie munchies and wine and sherry and imported cheeses and made a few desserts.

AND...

everyone cancelled less than an hour before the meeting. Now I don't mind spending the $75 to prepare for the meeting. I DO mind spending it and no one showing up.

In the past seven months, we've had to cancel about three of the meetings because no one could come, and many times, only two people were there... me and the hostess. Like I said, I LOVE the books we are reading. Everyone comes prepared with notes and questions and we get into some really great discussions. But more often than not, we can't have those discussions because we don't have enough people to even hold a meeting. Yes, I guess it is possible to add more people, but we have a bit of a narrow focus on our book choices so finding people who want to choose within those parameters would be tough.

I am very discouraged at this point. My question to you is this: at what point do you just kill the book club? I am tired of hearing the same ol' excuses. We are all moms and it seems like no one cares enough to actually tell their families, "No, I cannot go with you to the pizza party/baseball game/field trip/mall/Joey's party/volleyball game/playground because I have book club." They all seem to put book club at the very bottom of their calendars. I need your opinions, friends. What would you do? Do I let it die?

Thanks.

PAM

Comments (16)