February ......what are you reading !? ,
2 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (56)
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
Related Discussions
What are you reading? February 2022 Edition
Comments (141)Add me to the Cloud Cuckoo Land "the editor was AWOL" team. If Mr Doerr didn't have All the Light We Cannot See in his portfolio, his publisher would have gently patted his hand and told him "Tony, props for a grand idea but let's settle down now and focus on creating a real book". Meanwhile I started The Maid and am loving it so far. Experiencing an unreliable narrator due him/her viewing life from somewhere on the spectrum is always interesting, often funny and uniformly touching. It definitely reminds me of other books including The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine, and The Rosie Project. I've enjoyed them all! Though he was never given a diagnosis, my husband is a few steps along the spectrum himself. So I quite often feel as if I'm getting a bit of a glimpse into the ways his mind works too!...See MoreFebruary 2022 - What are you reading?
Comments (84)I've been reading The Gulag Archipelago and have managed to get through Volumes I & II. However, before I tackle Volume III, I decided to take a break to read a couple of "Golden Age Mysteries." Ha! The book I chose first was written by an obscure-to-me author, Annie Haynes, and was first published in 1924. The Secret of Greylands thoroughly confused me! I thought I was reading a Victorian sensation novel along the lines of Wilkie Collins or Mary Elizabeth Braddon's Lady Audley's Secret, maybe even Anne Bronte's The Tenant of Wildfell Hall. Everyone was either walking or being transported around the north-country (Northumberland?) in farm wagons, dog carts, or carriages. Then out of the blue a 'motor' (motor car) appeared on a road. The King was mentioned, but the Great War was not. Women still wore long skirts and 'sunshades' (evidently some sort of bonnet, not a parasol or tinted spectacles). I worked out that the time setting must have been Edwardian or perhaps early in the reign of George V before the war. The story was melodramatic, the characters were usually histrionic, and the plot was almost transparent. Still, I kept reading because it was entertaining in its absurdity. The male love interest spent years traipsing Australia, South Africa and Central America on big game hunts and other manly activities. Was he hunting jaguars and iguanas in C. America? It was never revealed. This was a very creepy book, in its own way. I read the notes about the author and learned Haynes was born in 1865. She had some sort of degenerative disease that wheelchair bound her. She was an ardent feminist who lived in London but created her stories mostly from her imagination and remembrance of an earlier age. Her books are said to be a bridge between popular Victorian-Age books and ones of the Jazz Age in the 1920s. She died in 1929 and her reputation faded. Perhaps unjustly, but I really don't think she could ever have given Agatha Christie or Sayers much competition. But if a reader is in the right mood to read a 'real' throwback, Miss Haynes did a creditable job!...See MoreWhat are you reading? February 2023 Edition
Comments (79)I read The Personal Librarian and really enjoyed it. What an amazing story and a good read. I do kind of wonder if Marie Benedict is such a good writer, or is it because the lives of those women she writes about are so fasinating- kind of the chicken or the egg. Either way I like reading her books. I gave it 4 stars. I also did read Foster, which I enjoyed but also felt was not quite complete and sure did end abruptly. My book club met yesterday to discuss Anxious People, and the vast majority maybe 12 ,loved it. There was one other like me who was kind of in the middle about it ( 3 stars ) and 2 women who said they couldn't finish it and gave up....See MoreWhat are you reading? February 2024 Edition
Comments (60)Just finished The Winter Soldier. I liked it very much, 4 stars. Thanks to those who mentioned it in the January thread. You guys have the best recommendations. I was hoping for a different ending, but it was a just ending. It's the first Daniel Mason book I've read and love his writing. Straightforward but evocative. I have North Woods on hold. Turns out Mason is my daughter's age and is from Palo Alto....See More- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
Related Stories

MID-ATLANTIC GARDENINGMid-Atlantic Gardener's February Checklist
Buck up with indoor herbs, stockpiled teas and plans for an eagerly awaited spring
Full Story
MONTHLY HOME CHECKLISTSFebruary Checklist for a Smooth-Running Home
Spend snowy days sprucing up, cleaning out and making your bedroom romance-ready
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESCentral Plains Gardener's February Checklist
Learn the right way to prune trees this month — when you're not busy spying intrepid spring-hinting blossoms, that is
Full Story0

ROCKY MOUNTAINS GARDENINGRocky Mountain Gardener's February Checklist
Get smart with your seeds, strike with oil to manage pests and practice proficient pruning — your trees and shrubs will thank you
Full Story0

ARTSee Winning Modern Quilts on Display at QuiltCon 2015
Top quilts have been chosen from among hundreds at the international show in Austin through February 22. View them and others here
Full Story
MOST POPULAR7 Soothing Spaces: How to Use Color to Create Calm at Home
Started your new year on the wrong foot? Feeling the February blahs? Maybe you need a color fix in your home
Full Story
GREEN BUILDINGHouzz Tour: Off-the-Grid Island Home Circles a Sunny Courtyard
A circular home is a cozy spot for gardening, woodworking and plenty of reading
Full Story
BATHROOM DESIGNSpotted: Refrigerators in the Bathroom
You read that right. Before you protest, here are seven good reasons why people are chilling in the bath
Full Story
VALENTINE’S DAYOur Big Book of 50 Valentine's Day Decorating Ideas
Wear your heart on a wall, table, bed, bench, pillow, shelf or shade
Full Story
LIFEYou Said It: “Call It the ‘Really Useful Stuff’ Drawer” and More
Houzz design advice, inspiration and observations that struck a chord this week
Full Story
annpanagain