Houzz Logo Print
okwriter

First Christmas after losing loved one

17 years ago

My mom died in October, and---like some others here at the KT---we are trying to get through all of the "firsts." We managed to get through the first Thanksgiving without her, and tomorrow is my first birthday without her. (She always made me whatever cake I wanted on my birthday and had me go buy something special).

We are also faced with our first Christmas without her, followed by what would have been my folks' 51st anniversary in January, then in March we'll have to get through her first birthday since passing.

But trying to just stay in the moment... we are a few short days from Christmas. My dad and sister just live a few miles from here, and they will come to our house for a low-key dinner (chili) on Christmas day and we'll open gifts. My dad wanted to just forego gifts this year, but I explained to him that some of us need to "go through the motions" and that doing what we would do if Mom were here would bring us a sense of "normalcy," but I also told him we can start new traditions as well (DH and I will take him to a Christmas Eve church service).

For those of you who have been through these "firsts" before, how did you handle it? And for those of you facing it this year, are you doing things differently or doing anything different to honor the person's memory?

Thanks for any help as we struggle through...

Comments (41)