SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnatemp

Please help me make a decision....

johnatemp
15 years ago

I was thrilled when I found this pheasant painting at my mom's house - it was my Granny's. An interior decorator had it painted for her years & years ago so I traded my rooster pic for her pheasant. See pic of fabric I am using for roman shades - benches are being made & cushions for club chairs, too.

Sooooo, I had found this shelf at antique store- here is where the ?? comes in.... DH gets involved. He sees shelf - says that's ugly & country - I say, I haven't painted it yet - just wait. Well now he loves it & wants to replace it with the pheasant picture. Says pheasant pic looks 70's to him - does it? I can't tell b/c my Granny's house was very classy & even thou done in the 70's didn't seem 70's to me. But I may be looking thru rose colored glasses, ykwim???

SO, if you didn't read anything above - you don't have to!! Which do you prefer - the painting or the shelf???

Here is the painting & fabric

{{!gwi}}

Long shot so you can see what's on wall - kids love the chalkboard. Benches will go where folding chairs are now & roman shades will be on windows (eventually) out of pheasant fabric.

{{!gwi}}

Here is the shelf I painted - it is not solid black - it is rubbed back showing the original wood.

{{!gwi}}

For fun....bottle of wine DH brought home for me!! Jokingly, of course. He said it is supposed to be a decent bottle - I am planning on getting my good girlfriends a bottle for a happy.

{{!gwi}}

A happy I took for Thanksgiving...

{{!gwi}}

Smiles:)

Comments (36)

• norasnews
    15 years ago

Very interesting... I can't wait to hear what true designers have to say!! I Love the darkness of the black piece, but I think the pheasant is a perfect fit... what about painting/darkening the frame? (Or putting a black frame around it before you attempt??)

• jen9
    15 years ago

I definitely prefer the painting.

Also - love the wine bottle. Have to search some of that out -

• Related Discussions

Please help me with bathroom paint color...please?

Q

Comments (20)
    Thank you so much everybody! I LOVE the cabinets painted in the Bittersweet Chocolate so that is a definite (and moonshadow, thank you so much for posting the instructions!) I will also check into all the colors that everyone suggested. I had sampled Sea Salt on my wall and it looked very "baby blue" to me (again it is just a sample and still in my awful lighting). A few years ago, I had painted what I thought was a definite grey-blue on the walls. When all was said and done, it was a "baby blue". I really hated it. I lived with it for a couple of years and then redid the bathroom (in country wallpaper etc. which I have now come to hate too!) That is probably why I am trying to capture the perfect greenish tone in the paint because my family will think I have lost it if I paint and it turns "baby blue"... Thanks, again, everybody. It looks like I have some researching to do!
    ...See More

Cabots or TWP? Please help me make a decision. Going crazy here!

Q

Comments (2)
    I am planning on re-sealing my redwood deck. The deck is made of clear heart redwood (15 years old). I've cleaned the deck and done light sanding where necessary. In the past I've used Superdeck Brand(natural) to treat the surface. But its been 7 years since I did the last treatment. CR came out with their latest rating of sealants, and Superdeck is not listed (not sure if was included in the testing). Anyway, I would like to use a clear or semi-transparent treatment that would get me at least 2-yrs of protection, but still show the natural deep redwood color. I live in the SF Bay area. The deck has an eastern exposure (morning to mid-afternoon sun). Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    ...See More

Please help me make decision on cabinets

Q

Comments (7)
    Are your current doors and drawers in excellent condition and in a style that you like? If you love your current cabinetry and think it is good condition, then go ahead and just paint. I know with my cabinets, my doors were in good condition but my drawers were a mess (sticking, sagging etc...) so I will be replacing everything. On option 2, will the be replacing the entire drawer box, or just the face front? If you love the new door and drawer in Option 2 and hate your current door & drawer, this might be your best bet. Also, are your current cabinets white or oak? If they have a lot of knots, the texture will show through even after you paint. Are you going for a contemporary look in the kitchen? Have you considered getting all new cabinets at IKEA? There has been a lot of success on this forum with IKEA. Just a thought.
    ...See More

help with pot filler finish!?!

Q

Comments (0)
    We will have a 36” Wolf range centered on a wall of white shaker cabinets. The 12 ft island will be in front of that wall with the white apron sink in it. They will not be directly lined up but close enough . I def want ORB pulls/knobs. I was planning to go with ORB faucet on island. I love the look of a shiny chrome pot filler but will that look off? Would SS Pot filler be better? Do I just stay with all ORB? If y’all could please help me make this decision!! Thank you all in advance! And I really want the potfiller so... please don’t dis it. Lol!
    ...See More
  • les917
    15 years ago

I would paint the frame of the chalkboard in black as well, and then hang the decorative shelf piece over that. Move the rooster pix elsewhere. Leave the pheasant pix above the sideboard, but hang it over to the right, rather than in the center, and let the lamp overlap it a bit. Then add a rusty red ceramic container with an arrangement of natural grasses, leaves, pods and pheasant feathers on the left hand side.

• mimi_2006
    15 years ago

Hi Johna :-) I really like the pheasant pic and I like it where you have it though Les's idea of off-centering and putting some tall grasses on the left seems like it would look good too. It's going to look great with that fabric. I don't think 70's when I see it. And it's a meaningful picture for you which is really important. Is the rooster sentimental? I also liked the idea of somehow incorporating the shelf in that room and maybe move the rooster elsewhere. Or maybe the shelf under the rooster and move the chalkboard? It's so hard to see all the options in snapshots. But I definitely vote to safe the pheasant and I really like it in that location!

• lpb313
    15 years ago

I love the pheasant painting with that gorgeous sophisticated pheasant fabric--i would put the shelf over the blackboard--no reason to not use both since it coordinates so well

• igloochic
    15 years ago

What les said LOL

Really I think the shelf is pretty, but too small over that piece. But it should be incorporated into the room.

Now onto the 70's ness of the phesant. Umm I don't see it, but perhaps that's just me. If you do find it offensive at some point...please put it in the mail. It would have a place of pride in my house :) I love it!

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

I love the pheasant painting and I like the ideas Les suggested which I feel would work out well. If you change your mind on the pheasant painting, it would work well in my home also. :) I love bird paintings.

• paint_chips
    15 years ago

I love the pheasant painting, but that isn't the best place for it. I think the 70's vibe he is feeling is coming from the combination of the yellow and orange of the painting on the olivey green paint.

I love both, just not together.

• bigdoglover
    15 years ago

I like the pheasant and it seems more classic than 70's to me. The orange is good in there, as the table stain has some element of orange to it. I agree about maybe changing the frame color. Not to black though. Maybe just rub a very dark brownish glaze over it to tone it down some. I don't like the green in it.

Agree with others thant the black shelf is too small for that area, but that it could go elsewhere in the room.

Do you have to have that photo with the car in it? Unless it has some sentimental value, it's sort of ruining the vintage (excuse the pun) look.

• johnatemp
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Whew, I am glad yall like the pheasant - I was secretly hoping it would be your pick. Dh actually told me he thought it looked like it would have had a velvet frame!! What does he know?? - he does actually have good taste & why I 2nd guessed myself(as usual).

I hung the shelf where the chalkboard & rooster pic was.

Okay, so pheasant pic off center?? I ** will try** Les, you know I am such a symmetry girl - you are taking me outside of my little box - but I trust you!!
    I will work on pics a little later....

Bigdoglover - what kind of dog?? Yeah, I could move the pic. It is just one of those that makes me smile. I will try some gel stain on the frame.

Thanks, y'all for your help. I can't see past my own nose with my house!

• PRO
    Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
    15 years ago

Johnatemp - what color is your room painted? I like the pheasant picture better too!

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

I know I'm late to the party, but here is another vote for the pheasant picture. I love the idea of taking a theme and incorporating it into different decorating elements. I agree the frame is not ideal. Would you consider adding double matting and a larger frame--or is their sentimental attachment to the frame as well? I agree to move the car photo elsewhere. Your lamp is lovely.

Do show some pictures when it is all done.

• bigdoglover
    15 years ago

German Shepherd, but I love all big dogs, and even regular sized dogs, so I'm a big doglover too.

If the car photo makes you smile... well I'm sure your smile makes the room more beautiful than any decoration could, so maybe you should keep it, but in a less conspicuous place.

BTW I'm not convinced about un-centering Mr. Pheasant, but do agree that you need something stronger and taller than the bottle collection on the left.

• anotherlinda
    15 years ago

Love your grandmother's painting, just have to 2nd valinsv suggestion about matting (in a darker color) and reframing the piece to bring more attention to it. It's really lovely. I'm crazy about your table lamp and would like the pheasant to remain "neighbors" with the lamp :)

• johnatemp
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Downsy, the paint is an old Duron color called Ardmore green - they can mix it at Sherwin williams.

Okay, here are some pics - playing around....
    Here I moved the buffet down to get the pheasant closer to the lamp - brought in an arrangement just to SEE - would need a bigger pot & taller, me thinks
    {{!gwi}}

So, then I thought....I have 2 of these arrangements. So I pulled the feathers from the decaying pheasant butt(ewwwwww) & stuck some in the arrangment on the left. You can see shelf on wall. If I kept this arrangement - how do you think 2 simple sconces would look above the arrangements?
    {{!gwi}}

I had always planned on adding add'l trim to the blackboard(painted black) & will do that & hang it here with the corkboard for an official message center.
    {{!gwi}}

So then I moved the lamp by the chairs by the fp- kinda dark over there & I am not a fan of overhead lighting....Cushions getting a panel of pheasant fabric added with red check accent.

Any thoughts?

PS. Bigdoglover - I get it, hee hee!! I am, too - any & all. My brain was reading lover of big dogs by your screen name - LOL :) My good friend had a very excitable GS young adult - he is hilarious & soooooooooooooooo sweet - my poodle mix took him down!!

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

Hi Johna! OK, I love the lamp over by the chair near the FP. I think it looks more at home there. I never would have had any thoughts about it if left on the buffet, but I LOVE it by the chair! It's a great lamp! The pheasant pic looks like it might need to scooch up a wee bit. How high is it now? I would hang it at least 6" over the buffet, maybe a tad higher, but not too much! Somewhere between 6" and 9". I also love the urn with the addition of the feathers. Before I saw the new version, I thought you could add curly willow branches for some height. The feathers do the trick! I wouldn't add sconces if you are keeping the urns there. Too much of a good thing, lol! I wouldn't object to sconces there, just not both. I just reread your post and realized that those are REAL feathers from last weeks dinner???? Am I reading that right? Too funny! Hey, cheaper than having to buy them and they have a good story! You've come a long way since a few weeks ago when you wanted to do something, but were not sure what! I'm sure your DH is thanking the heavens that you decided not to get new cabs!

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

I almost forgot, my neighbor has that same wine, lol!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

To be honest, I prefer your first re-arranged version with the lamp on one side and the urn on the other. Two urns seem to make it a bit too symmetric and the bird figurine seems to take the emphasis away from the pheasant picture. I also agree that the picture needs to go a few inches higher. Instead of the pheasant feathers in the urn I would probably put in some bare branches in different heights to give a natural, unstudied look. If you'd rather leave the lamp where it is perhaps something else of a similar height and width would work, although I love the look of the picture by lamplight.

• johnatemp
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kmcg, yes, I have you and Val & others to thank for saying my cabs aren't that bad - they just are not what I would have chosen - YKWIM. I am really glad I came back down to reality & am working with mostly what I have. The pheasant picture fell into my lap - must be meant to be!

I moved the goose from in front of the pheasant pic - don't know why I put that there???!! I put the dough bowl in front instead - like it much better.

Any other opinions about 2 arrangements on each side of picture? And the lamp by the FP?

Thanks.

• polkadots
    15 years ago

Hi Johna,
    I really like the lamp by the fireplace - looks warm and inviting. I prefer the arrangement with the two urns with the pheasant picture. I think I'd try some branches in those to see how they look. Also, no to the scones. Your rooms are coming together so well.

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

You're welcome! I am so enjoying watching you do all the work! :)

• teacats
    15 years ago

Yes -- I'm late to the party -- has anyone poured the wine yet? Personally I prefer "Pure Evil" Chardonnay (the Halloween drink around here!) LOL!

O.K. LOVE the pheasant picture above the sideboard (hang it a tad higher and consider painting the frame in satin black) BUT a vote for the lamp to be re-added to the mix! (LOVE the wonderful lamp and the nice glow it gives to that whole arrangement)

How about setting up a nice tray -- and some wine bottles on the left-hand side? Nothing like a bar for the holiday season!

Yes -- NO help whatsoever ....... LOL!

Jan

• mimi_2006
    15 years ago

I like the urns and the dough bowl sounds like it would be perfect. I liked the lamp on the buffet but REALLY like it by that chair! And I agree, no sconces, that seems like too much. Looking good in there, I just love that pheasant pic :-)

• johnatemp
    Original Author
    15 years ago

See y'all just get my wheels a spinnin'......the darlin' little store where I picked up some Mary Carol Garrity plates today has wonderful lamps, too - maybe I should get another lamp for the FP???? (First Fruit, Mimi)

I usually do have a tray set up with liqour/wine - maybe I should pull that back out & put the toile lamp back. The urns usually go next to the fireplace when it is not Christmas.

Thinking......
    Thanks.

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

I'd have to vote for keeping the lamp by the chair. It's more of a table lamp, than a buffet lamp. I agree to raise the picture up a few more inches and put some taller branches into the mix with the urns. I got a nice selection last year from Pottery Barn. In fact, I need to make up 1-2 floral arrangements to flank my TV. I really like your displays--any suggestions where to look as I've not seen anything I like yet.

Your whatnot shelf, however, looks too high--esp. when in comparision to the adjacent picture. Unless you plan to put something below it?

I'm glad you are leaving your kitchen cabinets as is for now. I think the black accents you are adding in really help to give these rooms more punch. It also looks like you shortened the table by the FP--so cozy looking. :)

• bigdoglover
    15 years ago

Johna, your dog is darling, looks so cuddly and lovable.

Yes, you could flank the pheasant with two simple sconces, and I love the symmetry of the two urns, but they are too massive for there both in their size and what the urn is made out of. The material of the urn needs to have a lighterweight look, metal, wood, definitely not a stone or clay look urn on top of a sideboard. I can see something a little more wide and squatty, perhaps black metal with handles and a gold crest on the front, and a simple arrangement in it. I'm not convinced you need phesasant feathers. Are you thinking of electric sconces to bring some actual light to the area?

I didn't like the pheasant un-centered. But I already knew I wouldn't, and you must realize that I am Miss Symmetrical.

I agree that the lamp looks much more inviting next to the chair.

• les917
    15 years ago

LOL about being a symmetrical girl - I used to be one, too.

I love the lamp by the chair - a better fit for that style and height of the lamp, and the warmth it adds there is great, too.

I would look for a bit taller lamp, perhaps something in a tole, with a black background. Maybe something like this?

porcelain lamp

or this:

vine lamp

One vase on the left side, add some taller twigs, perhaps red magnolia branches for some more color accent. I would not add sconces.

Take the pleasant pheasant pix and have it matted in a gold tone that picks up on the leaves in the background, to make the red breast a bit less prominent and pull out the warmer browns and golds. I would go one size larger in the frame when you do that, and hang it a couple of inches higher.

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

Les, yes, that is exactly what the pheasant needs...a mat! I couldn't put my finger on it, but there was something that was bugging me about that pic. Try a 3" mat. Of course that leads to a bigger frame, but I think it needs it. It will look perfect then!

• johnatemp
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Matting & new framing sounds great!! I will keep my eyes peeled for a frame-maybe I can use. It will have to wait until after the Holidays or later next year when & if funds recover!! Same with my roman shades.

I have got to return something today so will look at lamps. I like the ones Les posted but do not have good luck ordering online. I have to see/touch.

Thanks, y'all.

• johnatemp
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is what I came up with from today....
    I did decorate my chandelier & am pleased with how it turned out with the pheasant feathers, twigs & grasses - they will go away after Christmas.

I had some ironstone/creamware already & added the Mary Carol Garrity plates - thought they were so cute:) The lamp shade still has plastic on it but it is burlap - I thought it was a very appropriate material for in there. Looks like I need a bigger tray - this is just one I had but I liked the texture on it. Tags still on lamp & candlesticks- can be returned.
    So, here are some pics - please critique away!! I will reframe the pheasant - he needs a name! - just later as framing is very expensive unless I run up on a frame I can work with.

Thanks for all your help:)
    Val, the arrangements I had made many years ago.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

I have a hutch that I need some major help with...but I will start another post for that one.

• hoyamom
    15 years ago

I am also late to the conversation but love the pheasant picture. It goes perfectly with your fabric. Very very rich looking.

• teacats
    15 years ago

BRILLANT!! Just really really lovely -- very adult -- with a dash of whimsy!

Well done indeed!

Jan (yes -- I'd LOVE a drinkie -- yes yes -- I'll be sitting by the fireplace ......)

LOL! :)

• les917
    15 years ago

Things are coming along. I think you have to choose between the scrolly lamp and the candlestick trio, as one side needs something more weighty. Personally, I would keep the candlesticks (as they could be used in many ways) and find a lamp with more weight.

The little wall hutch looks very nice, and the whole space is feeling warm and welcoming.

If you have a Hobby Lobby in your area, check for their weekly sales on frames, etc. If you can get a standard size frame (a simple black one would work), one size up from the current art piece, you can have a mat cut for almost nothing, in your choice of the instock matting colors. I certainly understand the waiting for funds thing, but just wanted to give you a heads-up on a relatively inexpensive alternative.

The frame you have now seems very nice -consider having a piece of mirror cut for it and using it either horizontally or vertically.

As for a name for the pheasant, what was your granny's name? Perhaps you can adapt that in some way?

• bigdoglover
    15 years ago

I agree with Les about the three (candlesticks? whatever they are) on the left being good (though you need to lose the phone) and the scrolly lamp not working. Plus its square minimalist contemporary shade is working against your gorgeous shapely full chandelier and the whole traditional theme of the room. A different lamp is in order.

Also, sorry but that collection of bottles just is not doing it. It just looks, excuse me, messy. The glass just does not have the visual substance, and there's too much shine going on, plus the colors and commercialness of the labels... well just something there isn't working.

Your house has a very nice warm glow and feel about it.

The black shelf looks great but whatever that pink thing is hanging down is ruining the composition.

I know, I should tell you what I REALLY think! ;-)

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

I have the same oval Mary Carol Platter with the toile like scene! I love it although for some reason I haven't found a place for it! Love what you did with your chandelier! I want to do the same thing in my kitchen, but, I need lessons! I can never get it to look right. My kids come home from school, look at at it and say, "Mom, what is THAT supposed to be?"
    I'm sorry, but I agree about the liquor bottles :( It takes away from the elegant scene you are creating. If that were a wet bar, then it might look ok.

• polkadots
    15 years ago

Johna:
    I like the candlesticks - they are nice and interesting. I agree with the others that a more substantial lamp would look better. I am thinking a darker base would work best. I like the shelf with the plates - looks nice! I personally would remove the bottles, but of course it's your home and if you guys want them, then keep them. The space needs to be what you want it to be. Did your DH cut down that round pedestal table, that looks great. I also can't wait to see the benches you are getting.