SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
garybsp

Breaker pops when new switch turned on, please help??

garybsp
15 years ago

Hi,

I've just added a switch and light. The power enters the switch from a receptacle. So basically power goes receptacle to switch to light. When I tested the switch ie. when I turned the switch on the breaker blows. There are only 6 receptacles on this one circuit so it's not likely an overloaded circuit. The receptacle does feed another receptacle as well as the new switch although I can't see this being the problem. Here is how I wired everything.

In receptacle box from where I grabbed power.

3 blacks pigtailed to bronze terminal on receptacle.

3 whites pigtailed to silver terminal on receptacle.

As I've mention one of the black and one of the white wires goes to the switch box. This is how I wired switch box.

1 black from receptacle to bronze terminal of switch

1 black from light to other bronze terminal of switch

2 whites capped together.

At the light

Black to black

White to white

End of run.

Reviewed all wiring to make sure everything is tight.

Am I missing something?? I don't see why the breaker blows when switch is turned on.

The only other thing to mention is that the light was rewired by me. It was an old antique fixture that we wanted to keep. So I got a new socket from which a wired up 18 Guage stranded wire, black to broze terminal, white to silver. Not that this would matter but I thought I give as much info as possible.

Thanks anyone for the help.

Oh yeah, I've tried two new switches just in case it was a faulty switch issue. No go.

Thanks again.

Comments (6)