SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathline_gw

anger and resentment by ya'll

kathline
16 years ago

I had rather hoped this forum would be the sort of place that people who live in stepfamilies could get insight onto how other families may have handled situations that come up.

I spent part of Saturday while my husband was out with his kids, reading posts of various chatters, going back a few months.

What I found was a bunch of angry, controlling, resentful, insecure women who want to blame everything in their lives, and every problem their kids, or stepkids have, on the other woman, be it stepmom, or real mom.

Some of you sound okay, with just a little minor irritation with what happens at moms house, or step moms house, and you have a good handle on it. But others of y ou have so much anger and almost hatred that I am amazed the kids can function at all in that environment.

For what its worth, not that I think any of you who are in that second category are listening.......you are too busy with self righteous indignation.

Kids DO play each home off against the other home, particularly in the preteen and early teen years. What they tell you happens at moms home, or dads home is very likely to be a gross exaggeration, particularly if you show irritation or anger around them at what the other parent does. In turn, they go back to the other parent and tell them exaggerated things about YOUR house, and dont think for a minute they dont. Some kids get a payoff from keeping moms house and dads house at loggerheads.

Dont take what kids say at face value. I learned a long time ago to close my ears about what happens when they are at their moms house, beause its NOT MY BUSINESS. And fortunately, real mom's husband ( the stepfather) also encourages mom to realize that what happens w hen they are here is my husbands business. As mom and stepmom, we more or less dont have much to do with each other. Mom deals with dad, and dad deals with mom, as it should be. My job is to support my husband, to help give him guidance if he asks me for it, it is not to try to replace these childrens mom when they are at my house.

What I also see from reading past posts, is that many ( obviously not all) stepmoms here have husbands who dont like to rock the boat, who dont like to get involved in any way. So stepmom tries to take over and set the rules, or work out the arrangements, etc, where dad just wants everything to happen magically on its own. Then some of the stepmoms feel angry and resentful at the real mom when there are problems, a few of them to the point where their rage and anger is very obvious. If your husband wont do the job, then relax and let it go.In the big picture of things, you cant change your husband, so learn to let him live with the consequences of not stepping in. YOu trying to take over is a disaster for the kids, for your marriage, and mostly for your own sanity. Some of you are so angry tht you really should get some professional help. You are damaging the kids ( as shown by some of the way kids treat you) and you are close to a meltdown yourselves.

In my case, my husband stayed detached from the kids or the first year or so of our marriage, because he didnt like having to deal with the ex in any way. He tried to leave all the parenting duties to me, and for about two months, I tried to please him and take over. It was the wrong thing to do. The kids didnt mind, as they were still fairly young, but I found myself becoming angry at the perceived injustices that happened at their moms home. I think its human nature for women to try to protect the cubs, you know what i mean?We get all terratorial. On her end, she wasnt thrilled that there was a woman in the kids lives, t hat the kids liked and enjoyed their time with.

I got tired of being mad, and stepped back. I started emphasizing to the husband how important it was for him to be there for his own children, and insisted that he be involved in them when they were here. He slowly took up more of the duties, and surprise, he now is very involved when his kids are here. I never set the rules, although I do enforce the rules that hubby sets.

Conversely, its the same with my kids, who live with husband and I full time ( we have my husbands chldren every tuesday and wednesday, and then friday through monday morning EOW. Half summers, half other holidays. ) I set the rules for my own kids, my husband will enforce them if I am not around, but overall, they are mine to set. My husbands role with my birth children is that of a trusted advisor, or older uncle....an adult deserving respect, that they can ( and do) go to with problems that a woman cant understand( my chldren are all boys), but he in no way tries to take over the place of their father. My role in my stepchildrens lives is the same..an older sister, or aunti ,who deserves and expects respect as an adult, but who is more an advisor and companion than a mom. They already have a mom.

If I just wanted to run down the real mom, I could fill several pages, and I am sure she could fill several pages in return. How would that in any way make my marriage better, my children both birth and step more secure, and how would it solve anything? I think some of you need to just grow up and stop putting yourself first.

I am sure that those of you who fit the description here will react rather nastily to this post. No one likes to have their faults pointed out to them.

Comments (22)