SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeffnickc_gw

Planning for Wiring Outdoor Privacy Wall/Retaining Walls

jeffnickc
16 years ago

Over the coming months I will be constructing two concrete block 5' or 6' high walls with stone veneer, each about 35' long running my property perimeter. Also, I will be constructing three concrete block 3' high retaining walls, each 30' long, for a total of 5 walls. Each wall will have 120v light fixtures at or near the top (shining down the wall) spaced about 8' to 10' apart, or about 4 fixtures per wall total. The bulbs will be very low wattage, more decorative but also mildly functional (For reasons not relevant to my question, low voltage lighting isn't a consideration - or desire - here).

An electrician will be doing ALL the wiring and connections down the road, but I need to get a handle on the wiring plan prior to pouring the concrete footings for each wall, as I intend to have a buried PVC conduit that comes up through the concrete footing, and into the inside of the wall to each fixture, then back down inside the wall, back through the concrete footing, into the main trench, and onto the next fixture where it repeats the process.

While all will be subject to the advice of my electrician, let's assume each wall will have its own circuit, say 20amp, #12 Type TW conductor in its own 1" Sched 40 or 80 pvc conduit, buried 18" deep directly in front of each wall, all running from a newly-installed outdoor panel.

Question #1: Will I need to have the PVC conduit make an elbow turn from the main trench at the location of each fixture and go up through the concrete footing and the wall to the fixture, and then back down in an adjacent pvc conduit leading back to the main trench, make an elbow turn and continue... OR can the conductor go up the wall and back down in the same conduit, thereby only requiring a PVC Tee fitting. I would hate to pour the concrete with only one conduit embedded only to find out I should have had two.

Question #2: If I can use a Tee fitting, could I also include in the same conduit the conductors for a different circuit leading to a wall further out?

Question #3: Is the proximity of the conduit to the rebar in the concrete wall an issue of which to be aware?

Question #4: Can a conduit with speaker wire, ethernet cable, and coax cable share the same trench (not conduit) as the 120v conduit? Is there a minimum distance requirement?

Again, I won't be doing any of the wiring but I'd like to have as much planned out before a walk-though with the electrician.

Comments (5)