SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
everett124

Retaining wall design help!

Everett 124
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi all! I am building a short retaining wall (approx 4-16" tall), along two sides of a new concrete patio, about 12' long on each side. The patio was too high above the ground and the yard slopes enough already that I did not want to just grade it out. The wall will be 23" out from the patio (16" gap), to give me room to plant flowers, and will be as high as the patio.

I am using 7" deep flat Belgian wall block from Menards, bonded with landscape adhesive. I want to use this because it is the same block as I already have to build an outdoor BBQ that will be in the same corner (but up on the patio) as the wall. I am going to use a mix of all three sizes to make a random pattern look. The manufacturer does recommend these for short retaining walls.

I have read several different ways to build a retaining wall, from how much base to use if any at all, how much sand, what to backfill with, etc., so I am not exactly sure what method to use, but I figure the more base and sand layer the better, so am roughly planning on 6" base and 2" of leveling sand. I am using the Pavestonematerial from Home Depot.

I have already dug a rough trench, but need to start filling and have a few questions.

1) The patio slopes, about 3" over the 12' stretch. When I start to put down base material, all instructions I have read have said to level it. Instead should it be okay to make it match the profile of the patio? I would prefer all of the blocks to look aligned with the top of the patio, instead of being too high or too low by three inches on one side. Any negatives with it not being truly level?

2) How deep (wide?) does the base material and sand need to be? Not depth as in thickness, but from the front of the block back toward the patio. I have read anywhere from 2" deeper than the block, to double the depth of the block. Why does it need to be any deeper than the block?

3) What should I use to backfill? I will plan on bringing in some gravel for use, but how much until I can refill with the dirt I've just dug out.

4) Any good tips, or anything concerning?

Thanks!

Edit: Located in Northwest Indiana, with clay soil.

Comments (11)