SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valinsv

Hardscape design for patio and retaining wall--pics pls!

Valerie Noronha
16 years ago

We just completed remodeling out house and now need to relandscape the front and back yard. I'm about at the end of my energy level, making decisions, reseaching options, etc. but we do want to get this done. This is my first post here, but I'm hoping this forum will be as helpful as the Kitchen, Bathroom and Decorating forums which were a tremendous help for our remodel.

Some key decisions we need to make are regarding what matierals to use for our hardscape design. We presently have about a 3' high retaining wall that runs all along the back of our property (approx 100' long). We want to replace this and have it curve along the outside edges. We know we want to do bullnose brick along the top, but are undecided yet for the sides, though we would like it to tie in with our plan for the patio.

We also would like to use the brick as accents to frame the patio area and steps. Materials we are considering for the rest of the patio and retaining wall are flagstone or stamped concrete. We like the look of flagstone for the patio, though it's more $$ than the stamped concrete. Also, we feel that the flagstone would not follow the curved shaped we want for the retaining wall.

I would love any suggestions of additional matierals to consider as well as any pros/cons to the above two. ALso any pics of retaining walls and mixing different matierals would be appreciated as well.

TIA!

Comments (6)