SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jazmynsmom

Wanna play backseat patio designer? (long)

jazmynsmom
15 years ago

I've mentioned our overgrown red bud tree out front before. I love it in the spring, but there's a reason one never encounters "old growth red buds" in the wild: They're short-lived trees. Just when they reach perfection, they croak on you.

This year the tree came back all sickly looking in the spring... it never did look healthy, then about a week ago half of it died. After I cut down the dead branches I took a good look at it and realized:

• There's no way I can prune this tree to look beautiful ever again.
  • The rest of the tree is going to die soon no matter what I do.
  • If I plant another red bud tree in this same spot, it too will "eat the house" and then die as soon as it gets big enough...

So, in looking at the area, I decided it might by nice to get rid of all that overgrown stuff and start from scratch. The hose reels and front water spigot are behind those overgrown yews, and I have to wrestle a bunch of spiky dang bushes and pokey rocks (I'm usually barefoot) just to turn the water on... plus, the coneflowers keep marching forward, reseeding themselves closer to the sunlight, and the ground cover roses throw themselves on the sidewalk and snag the skirt hems of women who pass by (mostly me). No, these are not choices I would have made.

It occurred to me that I always admire homes with front porches, that sometimes I prefer to sit on my front steps to my back patios, but there's no place nice to sit. This would be the perfect place for a patio with rocking chairs!

My thoughts are really vague:

• tumbled manufactured stone patio w/ low capped retaining wall on the sidewalk curve to set the area off and serve as add'l seating... maybe pick up some of the brick, but not too much... definitely use complementary material
  • some sort of shade structure (Pergola? Umbrella-shaped tree?) The area gets afternoon shade, but I think our heating bills benefited from the protection the tree gave the house.
  • Water feature? Nothing with fish because Izzy will swim in/drink from it no matter what it is. Maybe a large recirculating urn on that sits on that elevated portion of the steps to the left of the front door? Some kind of a wall-mounted jobbie on the brick wall without the windows?\
  • rocking chairs and/or gliders... small tables big enough to accommodate two diners or four drinkers

There are some lighting fixtures out here that could be re-tweaked, and I have several electrical outlets out there... that are controlled by light switches hidden in the front closets (previous owners were Christmas light fiends).

Here are some pictures of the (very overgrown) area. Specifically, I'm talking about that area left of the front door and right of the garage (the left-most portion).

{{gwi:182932}}

I sketched out a little schematic of the area too. It's approximately to scale... or as "to scale" as one can get with autoshapes in Word...

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions