SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melle_sacto_gw

Retaining wall question

We are having a retaining wall built. It's about 50 feet in length and the height is three split-faced cinder bricks, so ~24 inches plus the cap height of 2 inches. The wall is on a concrete footing and will be topped by a wood fence so the fence posts are in the ground and come up through the wall. The wall will retain about 2 feet of soil.

My concern is about the part of the bid called "masonry reinforcement". Although we were told this would be part of the wall, it was not done. The wall was supposed to be reinforced with rebar and wire strips, but the guy decided the rebar was unnecessary so left that out of the retaining wall. I'm annoyed at this 1) because we already bought the rebar and 2)he made this "executive decision" without telling us (I was home OR he could have discussed over the phone with my husband) and did the low-lift ground to fill all the cavities and capped the wall so it might be too late for the rebar anyway.

So, what should I do? My DH is unconcerned and his plan is to not pay for the rebar/wire since it wasn't done. Is our wall going to fall down now since it doesn't have the rebar/wire?

Comments (11)