SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bgaviator

retaining wall questions/suggestions needed

9 years ago

So I have a question about doing the main retaining walls along our back hill, that steeply drops off below our deck. We are having some pretty bad erosion issues, and the other day I was walking down the hill, and my foot fell through a sinkhole! We need to do something to address our issues, but I am completely floored by how much we were quoted from one landscaping company to do this project.

Wall & footing
$26,000.00- $28,000.00
Backfill of walls with mulch top dressing
$2,800.00- $3,500.00
Drainage above steps
$1,200.00- $1,700.00
Concrete steps to lower yard
3,200- $4,000.00
There is absolutely no way I can afford this for freaking walls and dirt! This quote was for a two tier system, with concrete steps leading down the one side. My wife and I decided we can do without the steps for now, which would save the $4,000......but the $26-28k for just the two walls floors me. I am wondering if we could get away with just one wall, down the middle of our hill. I think it would stop the biggest erosion concerns, and it would also give me a flat area in which to work on my roof/gutters below my deck. Currently there is no flat area, and it's just a steep hill. I am just looking for alternatives as I can't afford damn near $40,000 just for retaining walls!

We have had a second company come out and they still have yet to get back with us on quotes. I'm hoping they can come in cheaper, or give us some alternative ideas. She stated our erosion was some of the worst she's seen. The one thing that the second landscaper said is that they construct their walls using a concrete base, rather than compacted gravel. All of the info I've read always talks about using a gravel base, so I'm curious if doing it in concrete like they say they do is ok, or if their method is flawed.

Here are some pictures of my hill. The pictures don't do it justice on how steep it is, or the erosion. Some of the trees in this picture are being held upright with straps that's connected to a metal pole that holds a birdhouse.

{{gwi:2117882}}

{{gwi:2117883}}

Comments (20)