SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
copelt

can one outbuilding have new service and sub-panel from house

copelt
16 years ago

There aren't any local codes here so I just need to follow NEC and common sense.

I am trying to figure out how to power a pool/workshop building (OUTB). I have 200 amp service at the house, I can also take another 60 amp off the pole per the local electric co-op. I have an empty 2 inch conduit (115 ft) from the house to OUTB. I have an empty 1.25 inch conduit (190 ft) from the pole to OUTB.

The OUTB will have 2 pool pumps, HVAC, electric stove, electric water heater, refrigerator and possibly a standalone hottub. I also need electric for general lighting, yard lighting, a table saw and small appliances.

My house uses all propane appliances (heater, water heater, stove, dryer) except the oven which is electric. I believe I have plenty of spare capacity.

I was thinking about taking 60 from the pole to run the pool pumps and maybe the hot-tub if I ever needed it. Then I would use the 100 from the house to run everything else. My problem is that I don't think 60 or 100 is enough but using the two together seems like enough power for anything I may install in the future.

How big a subpanel can I take from the house?

Can I have two panels on OUTB?

Whatever idea you have, please provide wire size based on my given run lengths?

Thanks for your expertise?

Comment (1)