SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
matt_m_gw

lead wire from main panel to sub panel

matt_m
15 years ago

Hi folks,

I'm building an addition on my house. The addition has a subpanel, and the subpanel is located about 60 feet from the main panel. I'll be running AWG 2 wire (2 hots, a neutral, and a ground) from the main panel, through my crawlspace (fastened to every joist with u-clips where the joists meet the rim joist) and to the sub panel. The wires will travel about 50 feet, and then exit the rim joist into the addition, the floor of which sits about 3 feet lower than the floor of the original house. The wire will come through a hole in the rim joist, and then go under a stair landing (about 15 inches off the concrete floor) and then go up into the sub panel, which is located in an interior wall adjoining the landing.

My questions: Since my #2 wire is in the crawl space, and secured pretty snugly in the corner where the joists meets the rimjoist, does it need to be enclosed in conduit? And where the wire comes through the rim joist and into the addition (the wire will be under the stair landing, and then go 4 or 5 feet up an interior 2x4 wall to the panel), does it also have to be in conduit?

Thanks for any help yall can give me.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio