SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnmari_gw

a new outbuilding for an old house

johnmari
15 years ago

Some of you have seen this over on Home Dec, so ignore it if you did, but I thought you old-house folks might like to see. :-)

The ~1910-ish micro-garage next to our 1900 house was failing - minor details like no foundation at all, sills you could stick your finger through, rotten roof decking and floors - and would have been miles outside our budget to fix up well enough to be safe for use. After a lot of wrangling we chose to tear it down and replace it with a smaller (8x10), very sturdy structure from a local semi-custom shed company. I am very happy with how well it coordinates with the house, especially the roofline angle of the main house. (I hate the roofline of the rear addition, it looks wrong, but I'm stuck with it.) It looks like it belongs there; we could have gotten one that was much cheaper at a home improvement center but it would have looked like a cheap shed tacked onto the property because the proportions were always off. The shed company just came out with this model this summer, just in time for us. Sorry the 2nd picture is a little washed out in front, it was tricky to get enough light to see the side.

I do miss having a proper garage - our last house had an oversized 2-car garage and parking outside sucks in a snowy/icy climate, but I'm just glad we have off-street parking this winter! We had to park on the yard itself which is not only trashy but made a rutted mess of the ground.

Here is a link that might be useful: Reeds Ferry Sheds, Nashua NH

Comments (6)