SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
faretheewell

Hoop house or Outbuilding conversion to greenhouse

faretheewell
9 years ago

Hi everyone!
I'm having a very difficult time making some decision about starting my aquaponics greenhouse. I'll give some background information:

I presently live in a cabin on my sister's property where I can plop a non-permanent structure on the gravel parking pad which has decent southern exposure. I live here for free, but will most likely be moving in the next year or two.

I also own a house about 30 miles away in Durham, NC (zone 7), in town, on a little quarter acre. My ex-husband currently "lives" in it (we both still own it), but he doesn't use it very much. I have the option to move back in and he will make arrangements elsewhere. The property contains a pretty big outbuilding in the back - about 22'x24'. It has electrical and it desperately needs a new roof. The building is right on the southern property line and there is a fence along the south wall (windows only on the east and north wall). There are also two mature trees on the east and west side. It is pretty dank and dark in there most of the time.

Here's my question. I know I can set-up my aquaponics system either in a polytunnel (on the parking pad where I will live for another year or two) or an indoor set-up with grow lights (in the outbuilding behind the house I own). It seems like the long term choice would be to convert the outbuilding to grow the plants (if you disagree, please discuss!).

So, if I convert the outbuilding to grow plants and fish, should I re-roof with a polycarbonate greenhouse roof for additional lighting and heat?

Any input would be glorious! I have been thinking about this so much that my brain is in a tail spin.

Thanks in advance!
Katie

Comment (1)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio