SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purrus

OK, big decorating problem in basement!

purrus
12 years ago

Hi everyone!

I have two ugly floor-to-ceiling pipes that feed the sprinkler system. They aren't in a corner or anything--in fact you see them right when you enter the basement. Right in front of you!

We are doing a basement facelift (painting the ceiling, new lighting, new flooring), and I have to deal with this eyesore now.

Any thoughts? I am cool with painting the pipes (in fact I painted some other wall pipes in the basement and they look much better) BUT this one has water meters at the bottom of it. So those are going to be very prominent no matter what, and I can't paint those.

I was thinking of some hanging bamboo curtains or something, but I'd prefer something that is as unnoticeable as possible. I'm sure IKEA has curtain panels that would work, but there is some wire at the base of the thing to power the sprinklers, so I don't want anything to get too close to the wiring. My friend was thinking that I could reuse some of the closet bifolds that I removed as a cover, but they are not tall enough (and I'd have to figure out how to install them, which I do not possess adequate carpentry skills to achieve).

Your expert help will be most appreciated!!! (Next up? The new electrical service panel we're installing Friday.... sigh)

Comments (22)