SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mojomom_gw

flash decorating help -- basement apartment

mojomom
10 years ago

We just lost our long-time tenant for our basement apartment in our ski house to a happy life circumstance. Our daughter and son-in-law live in the main house full time and we visit frequently. The main house is fine for the four of us and (+4big dog, our 2 and their 2), but gets crowded when we bring friends or my mom, so we are considering refreshing, furnishing and enjoying the apt. for a while. It has a separate entrance, but can also be accessed through he main house. The style of the entire house is fairly contemporary. Thanks to our wonderful and handy son in law and daughter, refreshing is almost complete --repainting and tile -- and it's time to furnish. It will be on a budget. The picture is of the living/dining area. The panting is complete it looks more tan in the picture, but it definitely is a greige. The floorplan to the entire apt is linked below, but basically the living/dining area is 17 x 11.5. We,re primarily furnishing the living in the exercise because we will be moving a bedroom down from the main house and then redoing that.

Anyway we would love your suggestions It will probably function as an away room at times, a place to watch tv and as part of a guest suite. I think we need a sleeper sofa in the den for when families visit. Oh, we are decorating from a distance and making a quick trip down to Denver next week to check out, ikea, west elm, room and board etc. I have no problems with buying online either. Budget is about $5000 for a couch, chairs, entertainment console and kitchen table and chairs, plus a rug and a few things for the walls. I am always over budget . . . But if I can have it looking nice without breaking the bank (or getting that look from DH) that would be great.

So . . . How would you decorate this space? We want to keep it fun and kind of gender neutral. And comfortable. Find me some stuff please. I have a wish list at west elm that includes the Henry sleeper sofa, either in poppy or teal, a few rugs, a mirror and some of those silly paper mâché animal heads for fun. DD has been checking out ikea on like. Don't mind a bit of trendy stuff because we will bro ably be here another 5 years max.

Woul love to see hou some of you would furnish this room. Feel free to suggest products, color schemes, furniture placement, art, etc, the only thing set is the location of the tv.

Thanks!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

Comments (4)