SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mama2c

Finished basement decorating - need help quick!

mama2c
15 years ago

Hi everyone,

We thought we were taking a break from the remodeling and decorating for a while, but our plumbing had other ideas. Our main waste pipe sprung a leak in the wall of our finished basement, contaminating the walls and carpet with sewage. Yuck.

The clean up is finished (yay) but we've got to get new carpet and replace part of a wall and paint. I need to pick new carpet and paint color pretty quickly, and I'm kind of at a loss because I hadn't been thinking about it. (I usually plan and scheme for a remodeling project for months if not years.) We want to stick with carpet because we use half of the space as a playroom for my daughter and the other half as a comfy living space.

I feel like this is our big chance to make this space look good and I don't want to screw it up! Right now the carpet is a hideous dark green and the walls are off white (the POs had very different taste from mine). I want it to look warm and "finished". We had just bought dark brown furniture (which thankfully was far away from the "incident"), so that's staying. We do have some natural light in there from a few small windows, but like most basements, light is somewhat of an issue.

To give you an idea of my taste, some of the other colors I have throughout my house are Lenox tan, Pittsfield Buff, and others in the brown/gold family. I love green too - my kitchen is Grecian Green (I've had a green kitchen in every house I've lived in). There are lots of large expanses of wall in the basement, so I don't want anything too dark or overwhelming. And I'm really stuck on the carpet. Can anyone help me please? Thanks in advance!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz