SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ivparker_gw

Finishing basement-Need to decorate from top to bottom

ivparker
12 years ago

Hey everyone! So we are in the process of finishing our basement and need to start thinking of flooring and wall color. We have no furniture for it (at least anything that is nice). So we pretty much are working from scratch and could go anywhere with it. We decided on vinyl plank flooring because of it being a basement and its waterproof. Our basement is a walk-out but only has one window plus a sliding door. There is also a window in the bedroom. We have 9ft ceilings and plan on drywalling the whole thing. Our main floor has yellow walls so I want to stay away from that just because I want something different. Here is a link to the floors we were going to go with. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/catalog/servlet/Search?keyword=allure+vinyl+plank&selectedCatgry=SEARCH+ALL&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&Ns=None&Ntpr=1&Ntpc=1 Its the allure vinyl plank at Home Depot, just in case the link doesn't work. I tend to like medium colors (we have light bamboo floors upstairs and again want something different. I don't want dark because I think it just shows dirt and dust too quickly. I tend to like aged looking floors. So like antique pine or country pine but I'm nervous of it looking too grey. Also, I would like something that has universal appeal because we aren't certain we are going to live here forever. Although, it could be possible. We have 5 kids and it will be used as a playroom/bedroom/living space. Wall color... I was leaning towards greens but am up for anything.

I also have to think about the bathroom. We did buy the vanity already, though. Its this one. http://www.menards.com/main/bath/vanity-ensembles/24-blanca-ensemble/p-1626577-c-8402.htm

I wanted sconces on each side, kind of an outdoor light looking light, but I was just informed that there isn't going to be enough room so I will probably go with the same kind of light but just above the mirror. We really like the tile that looks like wood floors. We were thinking of that for the floor, but what color? I kind of like the black or really dark brown looking ones but am nervous of them looking dirty. Its a pretty small bathroom, too. Should we go with beadboard in there? I was thinking 5ft high beadboard with paint over that section. Would love any advise. Thanks

Comments (7)