SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joanna_bruno92

Need help designing new construction finished basement

Joanna Bruno
3 years ago

We are building a new home, a 1200sf (30'x40') ranch with full walk-out basement, and I need some help designing the basement floor plan. The first floor is a modular, basement will be finished by us after moving in. Basement will eventually have 3 bedrooms, small living area, bath, laundry, and mechanical room. The walkout door has to be offset from center to avoid the I-beam (dashed line in pictures).

My questions:

1. How big does the mechanical room need to be? Shown below is about 8'x12'. We'll have gas furnace, water heater, water tank (from well), and water softener. Could water tank and softener be under stairs in laundry?
  2. We can do all the bedrooms along the south side (nearly all is 5-6' above grade) or put one on the north. I'm including pictures of each floor plan. I'm looking for suggestions as to which might be a better use of space.
  3. Window placement - ah! The south windows (bottom of drawings) are the front of the house and pretty set based on grade and symmetry with first floor windows. Other windows are flexible. Two bedrooms will have multiple twin or bunk beds and one will have a california King (shown in plans). Most windows shown are single-hung 3'x5'2" except bathroom (hopper) and north side (3'x4' to avoid higher grade on that side).
  4. Wood-burning stove placement - any ideas? We have lots of dead wood on our lot and would love to use it to heat the basement at least some of the time.
  5. Any other suggestions on how to best use this space?

Note that the walkout end elevation is not accurate re: grading. There won't be retaining walls.

Comments (10)