SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drugdoc_gw

One Furnace or Two - help needed for new home construction

drugdoc
13 years ago

My wife and I are building our first house. We recently met with our builder's HVAC contractor and have several questions about how a zoned system works.

He proposed 3 different options for our heating and AC. I was hoping some of you could weigh in on what we should consider.

A few details about our plans. It is a 2-story home with approximately 2500 sq feet of total living space. The first level is ~1300 sq ft and the 3 bedrooms are located on the 2nd floor. We asked him to set up a 2 zone system. We are building on family land and plan to live here a very long time. We will have an unfinished bonus area above the garage (~500 sq ft) and an unfinished basement that we may someday decide to finish off and want to keep our future plans in mind too. The HVAC contractor uses Bryant products.

The first option was to do a single 100,000 BTU furnace and a single AC with 2 manual dampers located in the basement.

The second option was the same as option one, but to add electonic/motorized dampers - additional $1200.

The third option was to install 2 furnaces and 2 air conditioners. He suggested a 40,000 BTU unit to service the 2nd floor and a 60,000 BTU furnace for the 1st floor. This would cost $3000 more than option 1.

I would appreciate any feedback on this that or ideas on where I can find more information.

Comments (10)