SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tina_ri

Need help with kitchen counters and island in new construction home

Tina Ri
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi everyone!

I'm in the process of buying a new construction home, lot and floor plan have already been selected. It's three stories with the main living area (living room, kitchen, dining room, pantry) on the second floor. Floor plan below:

I need help with design and upgrades while spending as little as possible (don't we all!). Here are the (free) standards: dark wood Shaker-style cabinets, granite countertops (5 color choices -- discussed below) with 6" backsplash (full height behind range), and carpet/vinyl flooring.

So far, I've decided that I want white cabinets and engineered wood floors. The quote on the floors has eaten up a large portion of my budget so I don't want to spend too much else on upgrades.

I've fallen in love with marble/quartz/quartzite counters but it's just not feasible at this time. The standard granite options are: Giallo Ornamental, Golden Garnet, New Caledonia, Spring Green (aka Verde Tunas), and Uba Tuba. Samples below:

I prefer traditional/transitional styles and modern country vibes. I haven't decided on color scheme or undertones yet. I am the queen of neutral and am terrified of the kitchen looking too brown/yellow (but also don't want it to be a cold grey).

Here are a couple examples of kitchens that I really like:

Watermark {Spyglass Way} · More Info

TWO QUESTIONS:

1. Should I match my island cabinetry to the perimeter cabinets (white and white)? Or should I go for a contrasting island (white perimeter cabinets, dark wood cabinets on island)? I like the look but I'm afraid they will be too different and hard to coordinate. For reference, the island is 11.25'x3.75'.

2. Which granite choice(s) is/are best for both scenarios?

Thank you!!

Comments (13)