SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_7426698511838

***Need help/advice with new home under construction***

HU-7426698511838
5 years ago

My builder broke ground this week to dig and next week will be starting the foundation, I recently toured the same home as I'm building and realized that I didn't upgrade to an option that adds a 4' x 15' family room extension. The family room is very small (15' x 15') and an extra four feet would make a huge difference. The builder won't allow to make this change since the construction has started. I'm building a story and half home so the kitchen area is further extended 4' out then the family room bumps in for the 4' and the master bedroom is extended 4' out. I'm wondering what options there are to extended out that family room for the section that will be bumped in? I don't know if there is a way during the framing process to try to make this fix or even after the house is complete what options there are. Is there a way during the framing to extend across for the bump in to build on without it having a foundation below? I was also thinking of cantilever after construction but a cantilever on four feet probably won't be ideal, I was even thinking after construction knowing it will be a ton of work possibly demoing the family room wall and if the extension could be anchored off the kitchen and master bedroom framing to extended across or my last thought was to add a three season rooms and extend out past where the extension would be. Please help with thoughts or ideas?

Comments (15)