SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
backsweat

Finished Basement Flooded--Pro Advice Needed!

backsweat
15 years ago

Our Sump and Back-Up failed yesterday. Back-up never alarmed, but that's another story (for when I'm not so livid).

We ended up getting pretty fair amount of seepage all around the perimeter of the basement. Enough that I removed all the carpeting and padding.

I bought an industrial blower at depot and will have another one going when a friend gets home today. Also running a large dehumidifier and a few heaters.

My question is the drywall and baseboards. From the moisture, the baseboards are pulling away from the wall at the tops of them. I removed one full length and it is not noticably wet, nor is there water stains on the wall, but you can feel the moisture. I know there's a plastic moisture barrier between the wall and the studs and probably insulation. Fear is that the insulation is wet and I'm going to end up with a mold farm in the walls.

My plan is to remove all the baseboards and drill 1 inch holes every 12 inches in the drywall where the base will cover it. If the insulation seems damp, (but not soaked), run heaters industrial fans on it for a few days. If it's soaked, bite the bullet and cut the drywall off 18" high around the entire room, remove it, let the studs dry then replace insulation and drywall.

Does this seem prudent? I don't want to create extra work for the hell of it, but I don't want a mold problem in a 10 year old house a year down the road.

Pro Advice Requested...Thanks!

Andrew

Comments (9)