SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rsteventon

Basement finishing advice

rsteventon
15 years ago

Hi All,

I 'need' to finish my New England basement due to a new 'addition' coming soon. The basement is pretty dry. There was not even a sump pump installed until I put one in (although there was a sump pump hole!).

I will be doing about 60% of the basement. Leaving the machinery room and laundry unfinished.

After finding this forum, I have read back and tried to learn as much as possible. I am going to propose my current thinking, and would like some feedback.

Sealing:

========

Thoroseal on the walls (I read that Drylok is crappy).

Not sure about 'sealing' the floor. Some people say that it may crack the floor due to hydrostatic pressure, but I doubt that!

Floor:

======

I want to use a Pergo type 'wood' floor.

I am not sure if I should put down:

- foam + ply (Homes on Homes method)

- Dricore (if it gets wet, you are screwed)

- ThermalDry

- Delta-FL (apparently, it 'creaks')

Framing:

========

Pressure treated wood on the bottom. Tapcon screws into the floor. Why not use pressure treated wood for the rest of the frames ?

Do I floor to the edges of the walls, and mount the frame on top, or frame and then lay the floor to the edges of the frame and caulk ? Is the answer different eg: for foam vs. Delta-FL ?

Insulation:

===========

The walls are high pressure concrete. I have tried and failed to drill into them. Therefore fixing XPS to them is kinda out.

I plan on using fibreglass/etc in-between the frames and putting a membrane in there too (remember, I already have Thoroseal on the walls, but I am concerned about damp air from the un-finished side of the basement).

Drywall:

========

I saw you can get 'mold resistant' drywall sheets for extra cost. Is it worth it ?

Other notes:

============

I plan on using recessed access panels built into the drywall for access to valves/etc.

Ceiling will be drywall or dropped. I have not decided.

In-law is a certified electrician.

Downlighting.

I don't have a humidifier on the furnace.

The house has central air. I plan on connecting it to the open plan room (well, paying someone at the framing stage).

Once done: slam a hygrometer down there and keep it below 40-50% using a dehumidifier.

Thoughts ?

-Richard

Comments (14)