SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wysecj

Wet basement floor - dimpled membrane OK?

wysecj
14 years ago

Hi,

I've got a wet basement that I'd like to finish. I've fixed all the downspouts, done some regrading away from the foundation, installed an interior french drain, but it's still damp in a couple spots. In particular, I have a 30" square spot that is permanently damp - it's been wet for almost a year now, even with the humidifier running all summer. Additionally, it's right in the middle of the floor with the french drain.

Here's some background info:

1. Basement floor installed by previous owner. He did a poor job - I don't believe that the floor is level, and it doesn't have a consistent thickness.

2. The floor was poured in sections. Doesn't appear to be any water in cracks between sections.

3. Before he had the french drain installed, he had a sump pump in that section of the basement.

4. Floor thickness appear to be very shallow in some areas, possibly as thin as 1".

Some pictures:

Joint between poured sections

{{gwi:1387619}}

View of room

{{gwi:1387620}}
Large (30") wet area 1

{{gwi:1387621}}
Large (30") wet area 2

{{gwi:1387622}}
Wet cracks near french drain

{{gwi:1387623}}
Wet cracks near french drain

{{gwi:1387624}}
Wet cracks

{{gwi:1387625}}

I was originally thinking that to finish this room, I would need to at least get the 30" wet area fixed. I was planning on chipping it out and filling it with hydraulic cement. I was also thinking I'd probably need to level the floor with self-leveling cement.

After researching on the web, it appears that I can put down a dimpled membrane instead of repairing the wet area. Is this sufficient? Am I just asking for trouble?

The pictures also show some wet cracks - these are especially troubling since they are right at the french drain. I don't understand how I'm getting water there - the french drain works, and it is covered with gravel. The wet cracks appear to be wicking - I just don't see how since there is no dirt beneath them. I could understand it if there were a river below the foundation, filling up the french drain, but thankfully, that's not happening.

Will the cracks continue to get worse? Should I deal with them now before I do the floor? How should I fix them?

What about the joints between the poured sections? Are these a problem? They're dry, but they make me nervous. My guess is that there is no bonding agent between them.

If I open up the large crack to repair it, is there potential for a major repair? A river of water running under the basement? My wife says that it's just a basement - forget about it. I'd like to make sure we do it right before we finish the room.

Regarding the walls, I'm planning on polystyrene board glued to the concrete. In front of that, I'd put the metal studs. I wouldn't use a vapor barrier, and would use waterproof (resistant?) dry wall (gypsum?). Assuming that I use the dimpled membrane, should I put the walls on top of the membrane?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Chris

Comments (12)