SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paloma74

who's dirty laundry?

paloma74
16 years ago

Hello,

I have not posted in a long time.

I have been living with my bf since October.

We have been together for 2 years. He has a 5 year old girl. He takes her to school every day and picks her up. She stays with us until 8:30 then gets shuttled back to her mother between 8:30-9:30pm (that is whenever her mother decides to come home from work) Her mother is a workaholic and manic depressive. She can't get up in the morning to get to work on time, so she supposedly makes up by working late.

This is a very chaotic and tiresome custody arrangement. I can see it being damaging to my bf's child. She loves consistency and security. She is really calm on the nights she can stay (only Wednesday)She falls asleep by 9:00pm all snuggled up to me. I feel that often times she is put in between the parents anger. Her mother tells her inappropriate things that shouldn't be shared with children. The mother calls her father names. I know this because the little girl tells us. We do not ask, but she tells us anyways becasue she feels confused. She needs security and guidenance, but gets not much. I try but I have to be careful becasue she is not my child.

Sometimes have to ask for help in sharing basic household chores from my bf. I cannot do it all. I feel that running a household should be a partnership and there should be room for negotiation and discussion. I get only get a response after many repeated request. When he does it, it's often done half hearted and incomplete. I feel it to be very passive agressive. I do not want to be in the position of the nagger-enforcer. I refuse. For me that is not a good place to be in a relationship. I do not want a lot, just basic stuff.

So here is the catch: He does most things that the ex asks him to do out of fear. He does not want to argue, so will do things for her that are not even his responsibity. He pays hefty child support, does all the picking-droppign off, washes the childs hair, feed her etc normally anyways, but then does all these extra things that she is too lazy or incapable doing. She gives him all this dirty laundry to do to bring back to our house because we have free laundry. But then I have really hard time having him do BASIC shared responsibilties for our household. We have had many conversations about setting boundries and priorties, but then nothing changes. I feel like crying all the time, I feel angry and frustarted. I tried not doing anything for a week and all went to hell. It was bad.

I have been in therapy for four years so I am also looking at my own behaviour to this situation. I do not want to be enabling him the way he enables the ex. I have made that clear, but no help...I just feel so sad that my bf is choosing to let this relationship fall apart because his inability to understand that small improvements can be made by negotionating.

Sorry for the ramble...Any ideas? Anything uplifting to say so I can get my chin up? Thank you all for listening.

Comments (5)