SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wantonamara

Airing my dirty laundry

wantonamara Z8 CenTex
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I got a slew of natives at the a swap from a woman in Medina Texas and then LOST them for a while. I just remembered that I left them in my pocket so I ended up having to go through my dirty laundry for them. SUCCESS!.. I am seed rich now...Asclepius texana, Asclepius latifolia, Callirhoe leiocarpa, Bauhinia lunarioides (Anacho Orchid tree), matelea reticulata (pearl milkweed vine), Sweet Everlasting, and my two favorites today, Amsonia longifolius and Thelesperma burridgeannum. I am going to plant the orchid tree today and I am torn between planting the thelasperma now or this fall. We are projected to having a La Niña develop this fall so I don't think next year will be a good establishing spring. That usually means drought. I have water in my water tanks this year but might not have that next spring. I have seen thelaspermas sprout in the summer in august when we get a nice rain so I am going for it. This type Greenthread is from the north part of South Texas. Heat is a given there, and so are summer rain events. Beautiful brown centers outlined in Yellow. I will plant them close where I can keep them moist, but I am starting them out in the ground and not in pots. Most of these seeds will be being stored and started in pots this fall . I will start the orchid tree in pots. They say it is best to use fresh seed.

I had to I tromped around the back valley planting 150 seeds of Mexican Buckeye (Uganda species) yesterday. I should have put them in earlier in the spring but someone just gave them to me and they need to be used fairly fresh . We have a wet spring with possible dry spell starting this winter , so I am going for it. They develop their roots first. We will see if I get any out of them. 1 out of 10 would be a success. I can get more seed from here this summer. I planted them in clusters of three and four and made tripods of brush over them to hide them from the deer and partially shade them from the sun. I hope art helps. I planted them behind berms that I had made out of downed limbs a couple of years back. The wet springs have already stopped dirt and leaf matter on the slopes.

It is so cool to see these measures working as I was told they would work. I am a dilettante that follows instructions. But I can easily be fed the wrong directions or choose to follow the wrong set. There is so much conflicting info out there.

I have seed from Utah and New Mexico and seeds from Texas spouting and the ones from Texas are so much more vital. The desert ones seem to be thinking and cogitating "what now"in comparison. I see a pattern here and a resounding "DUH". Maybe I should listen to this very easy finding. The proof is in the pots.

Comments (25)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH