SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anele_gw

What is technology doing to our relationships?

anele_gw
12 years ago

It's a given that some people say things online that they would never say in person.

We may send an e-mail and never get a response.

We know some people will ignore friends/family at home or out because of technology (calling on the phone, texting, using computers, etc.).

Here is another scenario. I have a friend who has told me in person (the rare times I see her) and in e-mail that she wants to see us more often. She e-mails me with possible dates. However, we never seem to get together. Oftentimes, it is because she does not reply to my emails (she initiates the "getting together". After I've said yes, which I do so in a timely manner, she does not respond. Weeks ago by, and the cycle repeats itself.

So, the same thing happened again. She e-mailed me last week several times re: a problem, and again discussed getting together, telling me which date worked for her. I replied that it was fine. Did not hear back. The day before, I called her-- left a message, asking if she still wanted to get together that day. No response ever. I know she was at home at some point, because she took the time to update her FB status. Interesting that she could not take the time to e-mail/call me to say it would not work for her.

I know eventually she will write again, giving me an excuse, but the pattern will repeat itself. She will rely on e-mail to continue this connection, which is not much of one anymore.

I have found, too, that other people seem to want to talk on the phone, e-mail, etc., but when it comes time to get together, everyone is "too busy." It feels like a fake relationship to me. I have four children, we homeschool, my husband works long hours, and I also have a part-time job working from home. However, I have time for people.

We have made it a point not to be overscheduled. I hear people actually COMPLAIN (repeatedly) about how busy they are when it was their choice. They fail to see that they are the ones who signed their children up for classes and made a million commitments, for example. In some cases, of course, busyness cannot be helped-- but for some, it is a choice.

I am almost thinking of sending my children back to school since people in "real life" are so busy rushing their families around (including hs'd children) that there is little time to just be together. The only times my children see other children is when their parents want a free babysitting time from me. My oldest (9) says she would only see people at school, but not have any real chance to interact with them, but I still wonder if it is a better option.

I am a big fan of technology-- I enjoy (obviously) interacting with others online, but there needs to be a balance, yes? Technology will never fill the need for human contact . . .at least not for me.

Comments (22)