SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aci777

How do I handle relationship with rude 13 year old stepdaughter?

aci777
16 years ago

Help! My fiancée has four children: three daughters, 13, 8 and 7, and an 8 year old son. The kids stay with their biological mother for one week and then come to my fiancéeÂs house, their dad, for the next week and so on. The biological parents have been divorced for over five years now. My fiancéÂs 13 year old daughter has a hard time accepting my presence into her dad's life. She ignores me and always does things to intimidate me (e.g. told her younger siblings to set me up to get in a fight with my fiancée) She hates the fact that I exists and I am a sore site in her eyes. I did not do anything to the poor girl other than I am part of her dad's life and she hates that. I have done nothing but to be nice to her, and let her know that I am there for her as a friend and that I am not there to replace or be her mother. She does manipulate her father's goodness and takes advantage of his generosity (e.g. she lost her cell phone and asked dad to buy her a new $300 phone, and when dad asked her afterwards if she'd care to join us for lunch, she rudely replied "i don't care!") She does not want to talk to me and she puts up signs around the house that read "Off limits". What do I do to break the tension and cut out the drama? Is it OK to answer her back when she gives wise guy answers? I feel like she walks all over me and I need to do something about it, but I am afraid of saying something wrong and creating an even bigger problem then we already have. How do I put her in her place without making things worse? Please help if possible!!?? Thank you.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths