SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
queentasha

Help with mis-matched kitchen!

queentasha
15 years ago

I had posted this in the kitchen forum but someone suggested I might get more insight into paint colours, etc in this one!

I need some advice about my new kitchen. There are so many different element. The granite countertop is black and white. The floor is grey. The backsplash is taupe. The cupboards are white. The paint is yellow.

Immediately I dislike the yellow paint and the granite colours. I don't like the floor either but I have small children so I think I may just leave it and change it in a few years when they're older and less prone to spilling things. I do like the backsplash and the cupboards.

I can't decide what to do to pull this kitchen together. The yellow is carried throughout the main floor and it's just too sunny for my taste, I definitely will have to paint. I'd love to hear some suggestions and ideas to help me pull this kitchen together!

Separately they are all nice but together they are just a mess. They JUST put that granite countertop down so it feels wasteful to tear it down but I really don't like it. I really don't like the black and white speckles.

I guess there are two scenarios, both include painting.

1. Replace or paint the backsplash and leave the countertop. What kind of backsplash? Subway tiles were suggested by a friend (my HB isn't a fan of subway tiles) ... any suggestions? And paint colour?

2. replace the countertop and keep the backsplash. I was thinking about replacing it with quartz. But what colour when I have a taupe backsplash and grey floor. And paint colour?

Here's a pic of my mis-matched kitchen!

Comments (53)

• haberichter
    15 years ago

I don't care for the granite countertop either. I'm a person who doesn't like to be wasteful either, but I don't think I could get used to this countertop. It's so busy! Does anyone know if you can paint granite?

I like the backsplash and the cupboards. I also like the yellow, but it seems to clash with the backsplash and tile floor. There are so many different textures and colors going on in this kitchen! Don't you wish you could ask the previous owners, "WTF were you thinking?" I know I think that about our house.

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

I agree with Parma on the paint. In fact, I think that's the thing that's throwing me the most about the kitchen, and it's the easiest thing to fix! I think SW Flower Pot would make a big difference. As it is now, the yellow just looks too washed out -- almost a sickly shade against the rest of the room, and I know that's not what you're after!
    ;-)

• Related Discussions

Mis-match created because KA changed handle design

Q

Comments (15)
    Hi AJCN! Mismatched handles can be annoying, but it's honestly not something that can be planned for - manufacturers do regularly update handles in new product lines, though they're usually similar in style to older handles. Unfortunately the new handle KitchenAid chose a few years ago is a big departure from their old Architect II handles. They actually still offer 1 dishwasher model with the old handle purely for replacement purposes, but this option doesn't exist in their other appliance lines. As far as options go, we usually recommend the KitchenAid icemaker over others because it comes with an outstanding warranty (3 years limited parts/labor, when most are usually 1 year, or 2 at best). Icemakers are notoriously finicky, so I'd still recommend the KA model here for that feature. As far as your listed options go: 1. The new KA handles are not made to retrofit on the older product, so I don't think this would be an option for you unless you're willing to have a 3rd party make it work. Even so, I'd recommend against it since this could mess up the integrity of your unit. The "solo" handles that KA currently offers for sale are actually meant for current panel ready models. 2. This would likely be the most cost effective solution, since KA has basically set in to this handle and I'd expect it to stick around another 2-3 years at absolute minimum (I believe the old handle lasted 10+ years, so KA isn't necessarily quick to change). 3. KitchenAid does have a panel ready option for their icemakers, and you would probably save more on the front side, but you'd make up and probably exceed that cost having the panel and hardware ordered. I can't speak to how closely it would match, but keep in mind that these panel sizes aren't always universal. So when it comes time to replace the appliance, this may need mods or a whole new panel to fit the new appliance. I also know older KA panel ready icemaker models weren't fully integrated, meaning they'd stick out a bit from a standard cabinet depth, so you'll definitely want to check this will work as intended dimension-wise before pulling the trigger on it. 4. There are options available that will have a more neutral handle like the Whirlpool wdccruise linked - that unit is actually very similar to the KitchenAid (Whirlpool owns KA), and I think the ice style is the same. The only thing you'd lose here or with other options is that 3 year warranty, and depending on brand, you may be looking at a different style of ice. I hope that helps!
    ...See More

need help with matching or different soap dispenser for kitchen

Q

Comments (7)
    is there another bronze tone from another company that is close? there should be. go a dispenser that is very simple and low profile. Both of these are a vibrant brushed bronze. would this work? https://www.ferguson.com/product/kohler-3-116-in-16-oz-kitchen-soap-dispenser-in-vibrant-brushed-bronze-k1895-c-bv/_/R-3105639 this one is Kohler Lowes has it https://generalplumbingsupply.net/buy/product/Kohler-K-1894-C-BV-Traditional-Design-Soap-Lotion-Dispenser-in-Vibrant-Brushed-Bronze/722193 if those don't work try this simple one in the ORB. it would blend w/countertop https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kraus-KRAUS-Oil-Rubbed-Bronze-Soap-and-Lotion-Dispenser/1002587250
    ...See More

Help with mis matching hardwood floors

Q

Comments (4)
    I also have 2 different floorings. I have Pergo laminate flooring (that I love) in my kitchen and bathroom / laundry rooom that has been discontinued. My entry hallway transitions into my kitchen. When I replaced some dark slate flooring in my entryway hall, I chose Italian porcelain wood look tile flooring and tried to match it as best I could to the Pergo. When I had a new oak staircase installed, the carpenter who specializes in staircases, matched the staircase wood stain to my Italian porcelain wood tile flooring.
    ...See More

New home and need help matching hot water dispenser to kitchen faucet

Q

Comments (2)
    I would just choose a different kitchen faucet, which has a matching hot water dispenser, because not only are the two going to be next to each other such that any slight difference in finish would be noticeable, but the styling is also not going to match exactly. Check out the Kraus Oletto:
    ...See More
  • queentasha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

haberichter - the funny thing is that they tried to barter the price up saying they just paid over $10 for the lovely upgraded granite counter tops (in kitchen and bath... yes the bath ones are ugly too - they're greenish). I really wanted to say "I don't care what you paid for it, it actually brings the value of the house down!!"

parma42 - I really like the colours in that kitchen you linked. I just emailed the link to my HB, I hope he agrees!

The rest of the main floor is yellow (as is the upstairs and ... everything, gah!)

Family Room

Great Room

The Office, Bathroom and Den are on the main floor too, but they aren't as open so they can be whatever colour I want but the kitchen is tied into the family room and great room, how do I work it? Can I incorporate a rich taupe into the mix?

Yes, I think there must have been a sale on yellow paint when they decided to paint. ;o)

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

That yellow is gorgeous in the other rooms ... just not so much in the kitchen! :-)

• tonilynne
    15 years ago

I love the layout of your new home! I think that the best way to have a quick fix without spending thousands of dollars would be:

1. Replace cabinet hardware with black/dark hardware.

2. Remove the backsplash and either just have painted drywall or a white subway tile backsplash.

3. Find a color tha complements the floor tiles and granite, and repaint the kitchen area. If you want to do just the kitchen, make sure it doesn't fight with the yellow elsewhere. If you want to paint the entire area, a darker tan/taupe in the kitchen moving into a lighter beige in the family room might look nice. Or vice versa. *LOL*

4. Black framed prints in the kitchen would add impact, color, and tie in nicely with the hardware and granite color.

• haberichter
    15 years ago

Holy cow, that's a lot of yellow! It's like being inside of a banana.

I assume those are your furnishings? They don't scream "Yellow is my best friend!" to me.

That stinks that they spent so much money on an "upgrade" that does not benefit you. I fully realize it's horribly rude to ask "Why do you have such bad taste?" but I think it ALL the time in our house. Our former owner had an affinity for purple, so believe me, I share your pain.

• citymomof3
    15 years ago

Wow, that is a challenge. I would replace the countertop - that backsplash is warm and so lovely. I would do some type of warm, cinnamon red color in the kitchen. I think it would look GREAT with the backsplash and yellow paint in the other rooms. Unless you are planning on painting the other rooms that are yellow, tan won't really go with that.

I would check out the Novalis peel & stick vinyl wood flooring (Lowes). It would be a VERY inexpensive way (98 cents a sq ft) to change your flooring. You can stick it down right over top of what is there and it sticks REALLY well. It looks so good. We just did our entire downstairs and I cannot tell you how much a love it.

Good luck, whatever you do! And be sure to update us!

• teacats
    15 years ago

Well -- to deal with this tricky situation. I would plan to change to the counters and the backsplash in the future.

BUT -- in the meantime -- I would paint the backsplash to a simple fresh white.

THEN paint the front of the breakfast bar in satin black. Also paint the stools in black too. Add some black accents around the space. Add some hanging pendant lights over the breakfast bar.

• donnawb
    15 years ago

I think the floor goes good with the countertops but the backsplash doesn't. If it was me I would paint over the backsplash and paint the walls another color. I think the yellow is making in much more noticeable. I happen to like the backsplash and the right color paint will make all the difference.

• cal_dreamer
    15 years ago

From a distance, the part that looks most out-of-place is the backsplash. The pinky undertone clashes with the rest of the colors. Replacing that tile with a white paint or white subways would look nice.

But I'm the oddball that likes that granite. With more black accents (like hardware), a few red accents and some of the cabinets painted black it could be really cute for not much money. I also like how the yellow paint goes with the wood around the fireplace.

Of course if you have a healthy redecorating budget and prefer the pinky tones, tear out the countertops and the floor and paint the walls a different color.

Do you have a dream kitchen picture to follow?

• lyfia
    15 years ago

I think you can donate your countertop to Habitat for Humanity, then it is not so wasteful.

Are the flooring in the kitchen real tile or the "vinyl" type peel and stick? If peel and stick I'd see about getting another kind and put over it. Not super expensive.

I like the layout of your house and the yellow doesn't look bad in the other rooms. Think the mish mash in the kitchen is not doing the color a favor.

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

Hi Queentasha...I saw your other post over on Kitchens before this one. I've been working on your room but not quite finished with it yet. It's amazing what the right paint color can do for you to pull it all together. Right now I have chosen Tyler Taupe and it really, really makes it look good without having to change out the backsplash or the counter. I'm scooting out the door right now but promise to finish this up today. I have been looking for accessories to compliment the warmness you're after. Now that I see your whole layout though...wondering if the Tyler Taupe would go with everything. Back to play later!

Lindy

• queentasha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh thank you so much Lindy, I can't wait to see it!

cal_dreamer - I do have a dream kitchen. This is the kitchen in the house we almost bought. I'm still kicking myself a little for not going with this house, but it was in a neighbourhood that I just didn't love and the yard was too small. Ultimately I decided that I can always change the kitchen but I can't change the yard or the neighbourhood so we went with the yellow house.

lyfia - fab suggestion about donating the countertop when we're ready to change the kitchen, I wouldn't have thought of that, what a great idea! We did the peel and stick flooring in our last house and within a month, it was already shifting and it didn't look so great. I'd love to see pics of your floor though if you don't mind sharing? It might be an ideal temporary solution. :)

Thanks everyone! I don't think I'm brave enough to paint any cabinets black because I do like the white. I could be talked into a black or black and white backsplash though. :)

• Happyladi
    15 years ago

I agree that the backsplash and cabinets are very nice. It's the countertop, it is ugly. If you changed the backsplash it would go better with the countertop, but it would still be ugly.

You are never going to like it. I would get rid of it. I would rather have a nice laminate then that countertop. I hope it is possible to save the backsplash.

• valzone5
    15 years ago

Welcome to my nightmare, bwahahahahahaaaaa!! I live in a rental that is yellow in every single room. I can't repaint. My heart goes out to you, LOL!

I love the cabinets! They are exactly what I want when I get a house.

The counterop, to me, feels cold and I think it's a great idea to donate it. I like the backsplash. The floor, not so much. I think if you get rid of the countertop and paint the walls, it will make a huge difference.

• mlraff53
    15 years ago

We can keep on going back and forth on this topic. What we need to know is how much money are you willing to spend.
    I would recommend soapstone (or black granite) and white subways and orb hardware. But then again your floor would still be ugly. So like I said before, this is a never ending remodel. You either get rid of the backsplash and paint and be happy for a few years or you change everything now.

• annzgw
    15 years ago

I'm waiting to see how it looks in lindybarts PS'ing but I think a change of paint is going to do wonders! As you said, it's way too much sunshine!

Right now, your barstools make the countertop jump out in contrast. Is that 'real vs manmade' granite? I've just never seen that color...........and it would have been much better if they had at least rounded the corners!

With kids still at home, I think I'd stay with the solid vinyl vs the peel-n-stick until you're ready to put in what you really want.

• eandhl
    15 years ago

I have tried and failed. Can anyone paint or change the color of the counter to a black, gray or taupe? Even a butcher block? I think the floor (which she wants to keep temporarily) and the backsplash which OP likes) could fit with some other counter.

• robynpa
    15 years ago

I would be inclined to keep the counters and change the backsplash and floors. Right now everthing is fighting but when you get the right color on the walls and the right floor I think it will look great.

• queentasha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mlraff53 - regarding budget... it depends. In theory I have about $10k to play with. But we have a huge shopping list and the more I spend on the kitchen, the less I have to spend elsewhere. We are absolutely buying a king bed frame and new mattresses for it. My daughter is inheriting my son's bed and my son is getting the convertible crib converted into a double bed and it needs a mattress. We need new light fixtures. A new vessel sink. We also wanted to buy a dinette set and new chairs for our formal dining room table. So that $10k will get eaten up quickly! I have to decide whether I'd rather have a new countertop or spend more on our new furniture.

• annzgw
    15 years ago

I'd paint the walls, along with the bar chairs, get some accessories on the counter and live with it. It's not like it's unusable and it appears you have too many other things you need right now.

• queentasha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ha ha, we'd get new bar chairs - the ones in the pic belong to the previous owners! :o)

• mlraff53
    15 years ago

I don't think the granite is so, so ugly that you won't be able to live with it (with a few cosmetic changes).
    I would buy the furniture as you planned and try to fix up the kitchen with paint, new or painted backsplash and maybe new knobs if you want (in ORB). Then next year or whenever you can redo the countertop. Then the floors. Hardwood floors all into the family room would look lovely.
    If you can paint the backsplash, that would be the best thing right now. I assume you can since tumbled marble is similar to bricks. Add some black touches in the kitchen to ground that sea of grey and that will look good with the knobs. I would keep the backsplash white or match the paint. I still like a greyish green (which will also match the oak in the rest of the house).

I moved into my current house almost 8 yrs ago. I didn't hate the kitchen but I didn't like it either. The only thing I could do was get new hardware. That kept me happy for a few years. Two years ago I got a new sink and faucet. Total splurge on the faucet. This year we got new countertops, backsplash and I stained my cabs. I finally love my kitchen (plus we painted the whole great room and got new drapes). I've been finished for about a month and everday I sigh and smile. But I didn't do it overnight.

Eventhough I like some yellow, you clearly don't like it so have fun choosing new colors and painting. You have a great house. Plus wait til your own furniture is in there.

• greenthumbfish
    15 years ago

OK, here's something for y'all to chew on - it's down and dirty, so ignore all the pink decor above the cabs, but I think something like this might work. Spend a couple of grand on the bed and new barstools and the rest on a new countertop and paint (maybe a little less pink). Too bad you can't stain granite. Waddya think? Clicky the picky...

• jlj48
    15 years ago

Your home is beautiful. I love how open it is. Kitchen cabinets are very nice. I think you can work with this. Here is what I would do: I would KEEP... yes Keep the countertops. They are granite for crying out loud. It is your most expensive element. Black elements will coordinate everything. I would paint the backsplash white and possibly even a few of them black - or add a black decorative element over the stove. I would paint your knobs on the cabinets black and seal them. I would get some black barstools - metal ones. I bought them for a previous home at Home depot. They were nice with arms and cushions. I would paint around my kitchen red - above cabinets, ect. I would put in black and white squared peel and stick vinyl flooring or if it was in my budget, I would put down wood laminate. It would really warm up the space and not fight the other colors. It would also tie the room to the living room with your wood around your fireplace. I would also do a nice window treatment, possibly a roman shade in a black and white stripe. You could always add red trim to it if you wanted. A couple of prints with black frames and your finished. Very little money. Changing these elements would really change your view of your kitchen. Wish I could photo shop this for you. I can see it in my head. Good luck!

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

Okay, I'm back. I've been having a crazy week. Everyone sure has some great ideas and lots of directions you could go with this. My opinion is to just add warm paint, accessories, change the light fixture and the hardware. It makes such a big difference and warms everything up like you wanted. THEN, down the line you could consider changing the counter and floor. I love the backsplash and would keep it as is since I think it's closer to your inspiration kitchen above.

So here it is (minus the cabinet hardware..didn't get to it) I also painted the ceiling a creamy white which added warmth. Do you have barstools already? I like either white or metal in this scenario.

This metal one isn't the best photo but you get the idea

P.S. Not to be rude but is that really granite? I haven't seen granite that color.

• greenthumbfish
    15 years ago

It may be... looks like "White Safaga" on a site I found that GW won't let me link to.

• gk5040
    15 years ago

As mlraff said, whats the budget....are you willing to spend thousands to change the kitchen or do you want to make the best of what you have? My first thought is to take the inexpensive road and repaint. Paint is an inexpensive fix and the yellow does not go with your stuff. Your living room/dining room has a lot of the "pickled white wash" which has pink tones to it and it does not mix well with the yellow. Without seeing more of those rooms my first thought is a beige would look better in there. I like the yellow, its very cheerful, but probably looked better with the prior homeowners things. I would paint several colors instead of one color....try a cinnamin red (flower pot) or a sage green (with a gray undertone). What color is the family room carpet, its hard to tell, but it looks grayish...it could be the light. Without your budget, its hard to give recommendations. There are so many scenarios based on what you want to spend. To rip out the counters or flooring are expensive projects.

• gk5040
    15 years ago

I started my post before I ran out, so I missed lindy's mock up before I finished posting. Changing the paint changes the whole look of the kitchen.

• customdecorator
    15 years ago

I remember before we chose our granite I did a lot of reasearch and ran accross a site that talked about certain things you need to be careful of because they can permanently stain you granite and make it darker. I want to say Red Wine and Olive Oil were a couple of them, but don't quite remember. Maybe you could try a patch of olive oil in an area that can be covered under your spice rack, just let it sit for a couple of days and see what happens.

"An oil-based stain will darken the granite and normally must be chemically dissolved so the source of the stain can be flushed or rinsed away. Clean gently with a soft liquid cleaner containing bleach or ammonia, or with mineral spirits or acetone."

'What else can darken the color of a stone slab?

Many types of granite are treated with resins, which can enhance the color while also reinforcing microfissures in the stone. This process is much more structured, however, and leading international companies are applying state-of-the-art resin products with advanced equipment that has been specially designed for this purpose.
    "Many types of granite are treated with resins, which can enhance the color while also reinforcing microfissures in the stone. This process is much more structured, however, and leading international companies are applying state-of-the-art resin products with advanced equipment that has been specially designed for this purpose. Resin-treated granite is widely accepted in the world marketplace, although there are some issues that need to be considered when working with these materials. For the most part, however, most issues have well-established solutions. For further information on the resining process and issues, see "Resin Slabs: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" in the April 2004 issue of Stone World, page 132, or search for

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

Hey Queentasha, didn't know if you saw this yet since it flipped over to page 2.

What do you think?

• queentasha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh lindy, that looks fantastic with the backsplash! What colour is that? Is it a specific colour, or just one you randomly chose? But boy do I need a new counter and new floors, lol.

My HB loved that colour, he asked me to email the pic to his work so he could show his coworkers.

That colour looks awesome with the backsplash but it really makes it apparent that the countertop and flooring need to go!

I hope we can work that into the budget. Right now, I think either we paint it that colour and replace the counter and change the flooring to hardwood. OR we paint it icey blue (my HB's choice) and paint the backsplash white/black (I shudder at painting that lovely backsplash) and leave the counter and floor. Eep!

I think we might live in it for a bit before doing anything major, just to see how we end up feeling after a bit of time.

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

I used the Ben Moore program and it's Tyler Taupe (a Historical Color) BUT, the chips never look the same in real life so you'll have to paint some sample boards to see if it really works. I have the fandeck here and Tyler Taupe is pretty dark.

Can we convince hubby NOT to paint the backsplash? LOL! I think it looks great with the cabinets...it's just the counter that sticks out to me. ;c) Good Luck!

• sweeby
    15 years ago

That BW Tyler Taupe is fabulous and really, really helps! And it's such a nice warm color that it makes the floor and countertops fade right into the background. Of course, the ceiling paint also helps.

Painting is the best way to stretch your budget OP --

Lindy - Would it be a whole lot of work to Photoshop an icy blue? I'm thinking that would make it all worse though, not better...

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

Well I was thinking about doing that but I think that it won't work unless you change the backsplash and I'm really pulling for keeping it. Of course it's not my house...LOL! So I could try and do up a blue with painted backsplash like her hubby wanted. ;c) Back in a minute...

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

I'm not sure what hubby had in mind for a blue but the more gray I added the better. I should have changed the ceiling too since it's too warm now. This is definitely a much cooler look. If you're going to paint over the backsplash, maybe pop in a few blue glass tiles. ??

• sweeby
    15 years ago

That looks Great Lindy! And I actually like the cream ceiling as it warms up the space. If the rest of the house is going to be warmer tones, the aqua blue is the 'warmest' of the blues, and something that should be easy to live with.

• marys1000
    15 years ago

Are you going to paint all the rest of the rooms the same color as the kitchen? I think that makes a difference in choice of color. (I couldnt live with that blue, too icy)

• johnatemp
    15 years ago

I have not read this post!!
    I just wanted to throw this out here for you. My MIL has white cabs & gray tile floor simliar to yours. She used UBA TUBA granite - it works well. It grounds the space. It ~might ~ work with your backsplash also.

Look up Uba Tuba on the web - it is also one of the more common(less $$) granites.

Smiles:)

I really like the yellow - it is very sunny in a good way:)

• User
    15 years ago

I have just read over this posting and I think that the first decision that you need to make is whether or not you will keep the countertop. If it is indeed granite, then it is the component of the most value. It would look quite different if the backsplash and the floor were changed, neither of which are remotely compatible. The whole mix is chaotic and disconcerting.

The backsplash can be painted. There are lots of references on the internet. Or explore having it done professionally - look in the Yellow Pages under Bathtub Refinishing or Appliance Refinishing.

Removing the backsplash can result in great expense due to the labor- removal of the existing tile is time consuming and may result in damage to the drywall and require repair; the undercabinet lighting and cabinet lightrails need to be removed and reinstalled; also, the countertop might be damaged in the process. Then there is the expense of the tile and it's installation.

The color of the floor is also a problem, but if it's not in the budget to change it, perhaps some throw rugs would attentuate the mismatch.

I think that finding the right paint color for the kitchen walls will help a great deal, but that alone won't make it come together.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yes... You Can Paint Ceramic Tile

• michelle_phxaz
    15 years ago

WOW! What an unfortunate kitchen. You have some big decisions on this one.

What Lindy did with the tan paint really pulls the different (read: unmatching) elements together. Seeing the kitchen you love, you are an earth tone person, the backsplash may not work into the remodel but leave it if you can, it is beautiful and (I think) your style.

For now, keep the countertop and backsplash, just paint the walls (definitely the tan color) and buy the furniture you need. Replace the countertop with an earthtone laminate or wait until you can afford granite.

I never read what the floor is made of, but it needs attention. If it is ceramic tile, you can leave it or do inexpensive stick on vinyl tile until you can replace it with larger angled tile that would compliment the backsplash. Changing out the hardware is another easy, cheap fix.

I watched a show the other day where they "refaced" the countertop with a granite cover, basically making a fitted granite veneer box that slid over and was affixed to the existing countertop. It was much cheaper than a new granite slab since the pieces were thinner. I don't know the company, but definitely something to look into. Although I am not a fan, granite tiles are much less expensive than a slab.

I feel for you, don't you hate it when a seller's "selling point" is your "on the list to destroy" point?

Keep us updated, this is one remodel I can't wait to see!

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

Is the backsplash ceramic? Looks like tumbled stone to me. Might be hard to paint??? I still like the idea of trying paint and accessories first...you can always change things down the line. I may play with your other room at some point and see what colors look right. When are you moving in? Did you say you are starting from scratch on your furniture or do you have something that you are keeping?

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

I would definately start with a paint color to bring it all together. You can already see the dramatic effect it has in Lindy's PS of the Tyler Taupe. It is the easiest and least expensive route to take. I like the backsplash although it seems a little warmer than the granite, but, with the right paint, I think it can work and be a temporary fix before an expensive overhaul. Lindy, when you can, try BM Bleeker Beige. It is a neutral warm grey/beige. It's worth a shot!

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

Hi kmc...It could very well be just the silly Ben Moore program but Bleeker Beige comes across very washed out against her white cabinets. But I like your thought process of more of a grey beige. Here's Bleeker and then one that is a bit darker called Greenbrier Beige. (without the added accessories)

Bleeker

Greenbrier Beige

• paint_chips
    15 years ago

I love Lindy's mockup with the blue! It makes marries many of the elements.

If this were my kitchen, I would scrap the granite. We are just seeing, basically the edge of the stone in the pic. I can't imagine having to look down onto something that busy.

It SO looks like Chanel 0, you know, that no reception fuzz on a tv screen.

LOL, my husband just came in here, saw the Greenbriar beige mock-up and said that it needed butcher block counters and a rug.

• valzone5
    15 years ago

Oh wow - those muckups are great and what a huge difference a new color of paint will make. The countertop is still ugly, imo, and I wouldn't hang on to it just because it's granite, but then again, I am not of the mindset that the more expensive the better. I'd rather get a cheap new countertop that I like than have an expensive one that I don't like. You can put in an inexpensive one for now, and save for what you really want. In any case, I am eager to see what you decide on!

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

Yes, lindy, the Bleeker Beige does look washed ouit in the mockup. I am including a link to one of my favorite spaces on RMS. The family room and kitchen are Bleeker Beige with white trim and cabs. A very beautiful, peaceful combo. In another post from the same home, is BM Sandy Hook Gray in her MBR.

Here is a link that might be useful: RMS

• Alice Johannen
    15 years ago

Just thought I'd add, since you asked how to deal with paint in such an open floorplan, that years ago members of this board offered great advice: Change colors at the corners. Try to choose a color either in the same color family as the color it meets at the corner, or a complementary color which is the same intensity as the color it meets up to in the corner. So for instance, we chose to go with a medium gold into a deeper sage, then from the medium sage to a paler sage, and then from the pale sage to a cream.

Like this:

What you'll have to do is figure out how many of the walls to keep yellow, and how many (in the kitchen) to change.

• lauraa
    15 years ago

Your kitchen reminds me of mine a little. We have the same color cabinets and the same backsplash. When I bought this house the cabinets were pickled oak and the walls were red, painted over wallpaper. The tile floor is a green/brownish color with grey grout. I have since painted the cabinets and the walls. I tried to find a color that would go with the granite, tile floor and backsplash. The one thing that I do love is my granite and that is probably the only thing the previous owners did right.
    Here is a picture: the color is Au Lait Ole by Lowes. I wonder if changing your hardware to orb or black would help. I do agree that the granite is clashing with the backsplash.

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

Kmc...Wow! That rate my space page is fabulous. I'm bookmarking that one! Her house is beautifully done. I wonder if she's a Gardenweb member too?? Thanks for sharing!

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH