SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mommyof5_gw

Does this seem like an odd request??

mommyof5
14 years ago

Our 13 yr old home has been on the market (FSBO) since mid May. The first couple who came through gave us an offer about a month later that was $40,000 below asking price. We declined that offer. I told my DH we should have counter offered, but he didn't think they were even "playing the game". We did counter a month later (long story) at $265,000, they didn't take it.

We know this couple closed on their house in mid July and need to get out soon. So a few days ago they up the offer $5,000. My DH is getting tired of the carrying costs (this house is paid off, but we just built a new one) so he wants to sell. After a back and forth we settle on $255,000 pending an inspection.

Here is the odd part. As my DH is talking to him about meeting to sign the contract the buyer announces that his wife is pregnant and if I will help tear down the kitchen wallpaper. I said I'm not touching anything until the deal is done. That was fine w/ them, but they still want me to do it. If the inspection goes okay then they can close on Aug. 31. Here's the kicker, I'm pregnant too (early enough that no one knows) plus we have 6 kids, school starts on Monday, 3 kids play soccer and 1 plays tennis so Mon-Thurs. I'm tied up. I baby-sit 6 kids during the day so I can't do it during the day. I also have a huge Girl Scout project my troop is working on and that won't wrap up until Labor Day.

I personally think this is really an odd request. Her parents both came to see the house w/ them and I know they live in the area so why can't they help? My DH thinks I should do it because they wanted $254,000 and we were firm at 255,000. He sees it as they went up $1000 so I should do this.

Any opinions or suggestions out there???

Comments (17)