SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucillle

Weather, it seems like it's always something

lucillle
last year

They are forecasting wind, tornadoes and hail in my area this evening. I think I will bring my little patio set and my outside plants.

Comments (45)

• Jilly
    last year
    last modified: last year

Us, too! I need to get to work bringing things in.

Hope none of us get damaging weather. Stay safe!

lucillle thanked Jilly
  • nicole___
    last year

lucille....that sounds like a good time to be indoors...with the car in the garage.

Colorado. A high of 39F today. The pine trees have hoar frost. Tomorrow 57F, then 49F, then 54F....

• Related Discussions

Things are not always what they seem????

Q

Comments (3)
    Frankielynn what great info! I have the most watercress I have ever grown and coincidentally (or not) have beautiful white cabbage butterflies in the yard. More then ever before. Now I know why. :)
    ...See More

Moss Seems Like the Answer, or Is It?

Q

Comments (4)
    I love the moss that grows in our yard where grass has trouble. In fact, I prefer the moss to grass and have little grass left now. My only problem is that we have weeds that come up and it is hard to get the weeds out without tearing up the moss. Of course, I can just stick it back down after removing the weed, so it isn't that big a deal.
    ...See More

It's always something.....

Q

Comments (18)
    Those green trays are very sturdy. I got them with a light stand over 25 years ago and they are still holding up as long as I take care of them. Outside I don't use the trays, but I use them in the sun room to catch the water then I use a vacuum to suck the water out. Speeds watering up immensely. The drawback is the plants don't get the one on one attention like when I used to carry them all to the kitchen sink. I got my pot lifter at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ECFFJ8?keywords=pot%20lifter&qid=1445822516&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2 Sorry Brad, but none of my cacti are rare, except to me. They are all various Echinopsis or Trichocereus hybrids. Mostly of the Schick or Johnson variety. And no, between the plants and turtles, pots, dirt, etc. there is no room for human activity in that sunroom :-) The table's only function is to hold stuff.
    ...See More

It's always something........

Q

Comments (6)
    Okay--had to come in and cook breakfast--so a quick amendment to this. When I tried plain water, it was just from a watering can and it had no effect. But I was filling water jugs from the hose for watering later and one had a lot of honeydew on it--the pressure from the hose cleaned it all off. So in fact it was the water pressure that probably did the job. Thanks Rina for making me think!
    ...See More
  • User
    last year

Ugh! I'm ready for fireplace temperatures, but not if it takes unhinged weather to bring it about!

lucillle thanked User
  • localeater
    last year

Stay safe! Sounds like a day to make a soup or stew.

lucillle thanked localeater
  • dedtired
    last year

Sounds bad, and i would definitely bring in the plants . Its crazy here. We had pea soup fog this morning and we will be well into the 70s for a few days which is very warm for November. We always get an Indian Summer ( is that term no longer PC? Hard to keep up)., but earlier than this.

lucillle thanked dedtired
  • whistle_b
    last year

We, in central VA, are having a heat wave. Monday might break a record. It's supposed to be 80 degrees!

lucillle thanked whistle_b
  • Oakley
    last year

Just an hour ago around 8:30 am I turned the ac on because it was so humid. An hour later I went outside to get the cat because storms are rolling in and the north wind was strong and cold. The heater is ready to go. Love it.

lucillle thanked Oakley
  • chloebud
    last year

Chilly morning here in SoCal. Actually had to turn on the heat, but it should be mid 70’s later. My favorite weather here is 60-65 and sunny.

lucillle thanked chloebud
  • LynnNM
    last year

We woke to overnight snow this morning. Not a lot, and it will most likely melt by midday, but I am so not ready for snow and Winter! Autumn is my favorite season.

lucillle thanked LynnNM
  • LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    last year

A cold front is moving through the KC area right now. I went into town to get my oil changed and the temp dropped from 66 to 58 in the 45 minutes it took to change the oil and rotate the tires. Behind the front are thunderstorms. We're supposed to get around 2".

lucillle thanked LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
  • OllieJane
    last year

Guys are here putting up Christmas lights right now and I just got through breaking down my umbrellas and chaise lounge pillows etc. Hubby will have to do the rest when he gets home soon. I really don't pay that much attention to weather and hub had already planned his day out all yesterday at his favorite local (2 hours away) river to fly fish-since they stocked it yesterday. UGH! I need a couple of big plants to come in that I'm afraid if it hails and wind blows too much-they may not survive. They are BIG and heavy so DS will prob need to help when he gets out of school today. I keep things up and decorated until Fall is over because we entertain outside until then.

lucillle thanked OllieJane
  • User
    last year

Ugh, I'm sorry. Seattle just wrapped up another bad "smoke season". off and on for days/weeks at a time. for several days it was the worst air quality in the world. Late summer/early fall is the absolute best weather here so it's depressing as hell to have to shut the windows and not get any outdoor exercise. This is the 4th (or 5th?) season it's happened, so it seems to be becoming a regular thing now.

lucillle thanked User
  • lucillle
    Original Author
    last year

Seattle that is awful, I had no idea that it was so bad there.

• User
    last year

@lucillle, yeah, it's super sad. lots of people don't have AC here, so there's no good way for them to filter the smoke out. many don't seem to understand the danger either. people outside w/o masks, some bringing their babies and kids out with them. ugh. :(

the first year I was a bonehead and went for a few walks because it didn't smell that bad. I developed a horrendous case of bronchitis for about two weeks. I don't even have a preexisting lung condition, normally I'm very fit.

lucillle thanked User
  • pricklypearcactus
    last year

We had snow this week so it looks a bit like @ajuju's picture (though most of my trees are little babies right now so not quite as pretty). Last week it was 70s during the day. This morning our stupid Nest thermostat decided it was out of battery power (even though it gets power where it's connected) and did not turn on the heat so we woke up to a very cold house. Unpleasant, but nothing dangerous. Hope those of you in tornado territory are safe!

lucillle thanked pricklypearcactus
  • bpath
    last year

It’s so nice here that the painters are doing the windows! With any luck, afterwards I can get them washed as well!

lucillle thanked bpath
  • lily316
    last year

For a winter lover like me, I hate this summer weather we are having. Unprecedented! It will be in the 70's till at least the middle of the month when the average daytime temp is 57. At night it will be way above normal day temps in the upper 60's. I could have kept all the plants I hauled to the greenhouse in the basement up for another month. So I brought two ferns up yesterday along with a fern that has been out all summer and thriving. I picked tomatoes from my home garden yesterday and my impatiens look like they did in July. I hate it!

lucillle thanked lily316
  • Elmer J Fudd
    last year

" lots of people don't have AC here, so there's no good way for them to filter the smoke out. "

Only a small number of residential forced air HVAC systems (whether for heating, AC, or both) have any kind of air purification devices. The vast majority have simple media filters and their job is to remove large particles (like dust, floating lint) from the air moving into the equipment so that the air passages don't get obstructed. They don't appreciably "clean" nor disinfect the air that passes through.

Based on the two HVAC contractors who have replaced equipment at my two locations, the current thinking is that highly restrictive type of disposable filters (the kind with high MERV numbers) are a bad idea and put needless strain that shortens the life of blower motors. Both have recommended the most porous ones available - like in the MERV 5-8 range.

lucillle thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • JustDoIt
    last year

Major storm coming this way today. Rain already here. Major hail storm predicted.

lucillle thanked JustDoIt
  • User
    last year

You make a good point, maybe next year I'll buy the best filter that my blower can handle. Or maybe put an air purifier next to our air return vent?

The regular filter on our HVAC was at least good enough so far. I realize there might be some hidden danger to the air quality in our home, but our situation was far and beyond better than what many others suffered. Plus we could keep the house cool, a luxury. Some people would tape a filter to a box fan because that's all they could afford.

lucillle thanked User
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

SeattleMCM, I live a block up from the Sound and while you could see (and smell) the smoke haze, it was not bad enough to stay indoors. I gardened and walked the dog everyday with no ill effects. And it rarely ever gets hot enough here to need any AC. Except in my car when its been sitting in the summer sun :-)

Must be that moderating marine influence!

lucillle thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • functionthenlook
    last year

W PA heading up to camp tonight with 2 of the grands until Tuesday. It is going to be a nice weekend to see the elk, 76 tomorrow and dropping to 57 by Tuesday . Best of all, only on and off rain on Sunday.

lucillle thanked functionthenlook
  • maifleur03
    last year

Just a suggestion but my thermostat has a setting that is "fan". It only circulates the air through the furnace filter.

For years I have worn a facemask during the times the grasslands west of me are being burned. Some seeds have a hard coating and unless it is removed will not spout. Other seeds also need heat. Without the fires that are done in rotating area the Great American Desert could in truth become a desert. I also had only one neighbor who burned wood so used the mask's when I took the woofer out. This year there is more than one so rather than just a weekend occurance it is every evening.

I am expecting some snow flakes in the morning from the backside of the storm that is going through. Took the woofer out during a lull in the rain and there has already been an inch and a half with rain to continue to morning.

lucillle thanked maifleur03
  • User
    last year

@maifleur03, yes, that's what Elmer and I are talking about above. I ran ours constantly in fan mode, or AC depending on the temps. But the filters that most people typically use may or may not be good enough.

lucillle thanked User
  • maifleur03
    last year

Seattle there are many in this area that are not aware of there even being a setting on the thermostat which is why I mentioned it. Most just turn it on and forget it.

• schoolhouse_gwagain
    last year

Beautiful weather here - high 60s, low 70s, 10% chance of rain for a day or two, then 20% chance, then nice again.

People have been mowing their yards yesterday and today, but mine doesn't look as tho it needs it quite yet. But then most of my neighbors scalp their grass all season long. I don't like mine that short. Anyway, I will mow one more time probably towards the middle of the month if it doesn't get extra high by then.

SO many leaves this year. I don't think I've ever seen it like this. Normally the wind blows mine away but I'm seeing alot strewn over the grass in areas. I'll just leave them to shrivel up, then mow over them. Neighbors' yards look like leaf carpets.

Those of you preparing for storms, stay safe.

lucillle thanked schoolhouse_gwagain
  • nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10
    last year

Trees here have barely started to turn, and the neighbor’s plum tree — 70% growing in my yard — has only shed a few leaves. Temperatures are in the low to mid-60s, cool for this time of year, and with the winds last night, chilly (in the So Calif context). True sign of fall in the neighborhood, detritus from palm trees littering the streets and sidewalks — so I guess you can say fall has arrived in Venice Beach.

Our seasons are odd: we barely adjust to fall temperatures (put away the flip flops for a couple of months) and then Christmas is here. Our winter usually begins some time in January, so I’m not ready for the winter-based themes.

Forget about snowy landscapes — it would be a real disaster here, like the city would have to shut down.

lucillle thanked nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10
  • Elmer J Fudd
    last year

" the filters that most people typically use may or may not be good enough. "

Keep in mind what their function is. If you want a HEPA filter or fine particulate fileter, that's fine, those are something different.

Keeping the fan on constantly is not a good idea and in many houses doing so can be a source of MORE, not less, dust particles in the air. Message me if you're interested in knowing why.

On the MERV question for disposable filters, I encountered two schools of thought that I'll call the Old Guard and the more modern thinking New Young Turks. In reverse order, there have been a lot of advances in what's called "Building Science" in the last 20 years, many from engineering and scientific studies of indoor airspace. The Young Turks are fully bought-in to more modern techniques and approaches and how to avoid what had been common and longstanding problems from old fashioned practices. The ones I spoke to recommended using the least obstructive filters for the reason I mentioned before. The Old Guard is the Old Guard and eschew modern thinking and techniques. You want a filter, the more obstructive, the better. If there's a problem with your blower, we'll gladly put in a new one (They cost many hundreds of dollars).

lucillle thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    last year

Our heat pump w/AC in our former house had a whole house air cleaner attached (it was Honeywell). Once a month or so I ran the filters through the dishwasher. Loved it, I rarely had to dust.

Vintage radiant heat in the ceilings in this house, nothing moving air other than fans. But as for the smoke, we really didn't have it here on the coast. We had an odd colored sky one day, it didn't slow activities.

I'm not really excited about today's weather ;) My BIL's weather station was showing 3.99" rain between midnight and 8 AM. No flooding has taken place, our tides not high enough to put us in that risk. But its a miserable soaking wet windy day - and weather that he can't control makes DH anxious. He's been pacing. There have been 4 deer huddled in the island bed in between him and the garbage and recycle cans too...they (either the deer or the cans) aren't going any place but bringing them (the cans) back to the house seems to be approaching an emergency. Many good qualities but weather patience doesn't happen to be one of them ;)

• lucillle
    Original Author
    last year

Seattle I have room size HEPA filter machines in the living room and both bedrooms, they do a good job. Of course, your air is much worse than mine, but you might try one and see how it does for you.

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    last year

We have had about an inch of rain here which we badly needed. Most crop harvesting is complete so it came at a great time.

Very grateful for the continued rain. About 50°, but that’s ok. It’s normal in north Missouri in November.

lucillle thanked littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
  • lakeaffect_gw
    last year

NNY here, almost at the 44th parallel and we haven’t even had a frost yet. It was 76 today and I’ve picked at least 3 quarts of (everbearing) raspberries already this week, it’s truly unprecedented.

lucillle thanked lakeaffect_gw
  • Elmer J Fudd
    last year

" Of course, your air is much worse than mine, "

Really? The American Lung Association ranks Houston as the 8th smoggiest, ozone polution-wise, in the US.

Lung Association says Houstion Air Quality is unhealthy.)

• lucillle
    Original Author
    last year

Elmer, I don't live in Houston.

• Elmer J Fudd
    last year

Excellent! Weren’t you there sometime?

• Olychick
    last year

Like Lucille, I have two room size air purifiers which kept the horrible smoky air in the PNW totally breathable inside my home. I have had two minisplit heat pump units installed in the last couple of years, since our normally moderate summer temps have risen to hellish highs. They don’t filter smoke but keep the house cool enough so I don’t have to open windows and the purifiers keep it breathable.

lucillle thanked Olychick
  • lucillle
    Original Author
    last year

Weather this morning is nice, crisp and cool. The hail and tornadoes never arrived last night as forecasted, I'm not complaining.

• WittyNickNameHere ;)
    last year

Not sure if I would rather tornados or the -13C weather with snow....

lucillle thanked WittyNickNameHere ;)
  • Olychick
    last year

We had a huge wind and rainstorm in the PNW last night. 200,000 plus without power, including me! Temps are fairly mild, which is good. i haven ventured out yet but I imagine there are trees down over my only exit road. Luckily, I can stay home and I thought to grind coffee beans before the power went out. Whew!

lucillle thanked Olychick
  • OllieJane
    last year

Barely rained and no hail storms or tornadoes here. Did get colder but that's about it.

lucillle thanked OllieJane
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

Oly, further up the Sound, we missed most of it. Not a lot of rain - in a bit of a rain shadow - and while blustery, the winds were not too bad. No power outages. Just got a awful lot of leaves and cones to clean up!

lucillle thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • chloebud
    last year

“Forget about snowy landscapes — it would be a real disaster here, like the city would have to shut down.”

So true! They have a hard enough time here when it rains!

lucillle thanked chloebud
  • maifleur03
    last year

While I only had 3 5/8th of inches of rain some of the outlying areas of KC had snow last night and again this morning. I was sort of surprised that there was none here since it was 36 with is a good temperature for those big what I call "goose flakes" of snow to happen. Another chance on Tuesday although like yesterday it is supposed to be too warm.

• happy2b…gw
    last year

While you are discussing wind, rain, hail and snow, here in Southern Maryland I am wearing shorts. Unusual weather. Forecast calls for 70’s through Tuesday and then back to the 60’s. I plan to enjoy it.

lucillle thanked happy2b…gw