SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gazania_gw

My Mortgage Company Neighbor... and the odd stuff it does.

gazania_gw
8 years ago

My next door neighbor is a mortgage company. The people who used to live there were born in that house and were taken out kicking and screaming 8 years ago. They were a brother and sister both well into their 90's and unable to care for themselves.

The brother had a sickness for collecting antiques and spent every dime on them, even taking out a mortgage on the estate to pay for his sickness. His collection included some very valuable pieces which were all sold at auction upon his death for several million dollars. The man never paid his bills and owed everyone it seemed., but that is how he lived.

The mortgage company is now suing the heirs, a couple of nieces and a nephew, for what is owed them. It comes to far more than the is worth. It is well over 100 years old and never had any real upkeep.

The house has sat empty now for 8 years. The first 4 years, my DH and a other neighbor mowed the grass and kept it looking decent there. Then the mortgage co. decided it would hire someone to mow. From then on it got mowed about 4 times a season, so it was looking pretty bad.

This year, a new person is mowing and he says the mortgage co. told him that he only has to mow around the perimeter of the house. So he is mowing the area just from the foundation out about 10 feet, and leaves the rest of the 150 x 200 ft lot unmowed. He has been here every 4 or 5 weeks since April. So this is what it looks like.

The house in 2010

What it looks like now

We complained to the Township which does have ordinances regarding grass mowing, so they came out and cut back about 8 feet of woody, bushy growth that fronted the property on the two roads that border it. What was cut was just left lay.

It is a shame, because this was at one time a grand house. It is now a shambles inside, walls crumbling, basement flooded and slate roof in really bad shape.

Comments (19)