SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linda117117

Buyer cost himself $5000

Linda
16 years ago

I wanted to share this story in hopes that it would help a first time home buyer or even someone not purchasing for the first time.

About 2 months ago I negotiated an offer for a very nice couple. (First time homebuyers). After reviewing the comps, I felt the house was priced on the high side. I was able to negotiate a very good price for them. The buyer was so excited that she got the house at the lower end of her budget that she started yelling to her husband that they got it, they got it. I sent all my paperwork over to the attorney and we proceeded with the purchase.

Yesterday, at the closing, the sellers attorney asked for my invoice. When I handed her my invoice, she told me it was incorrect. I said, whats wrong with it? She replied, that the selling price was $5000 higher than my invoice, my invoice was $5000 too low. She also mentioned that the listing agents invoice was wrong. Long story short, the buyer was so excited to get this house, that they never looked at the selling price on the contract, her attorney, never verified the selling price on the contract with my paperwork, and the sellers attorney made a mistake,and raised the price of the house by $5000. Since this is the contract that the buyers and sellers signed, nothing could be done at this point. I had negotiated a price that everyone had agreed on, and in the excitement, the buyer never noticed the change and her mortgage was processed for the extra $5000. Of course the atty wouldnt own up to it and just said this is what she was told by her sellers. Apparently, she didnt look at the listing agents paperwork either and took the sellers word on what the selling price was.

The moral of the story is, READ the paperwork, know what you are signing, your attorney can make sure you're not signing anything that will put you in jeopardy, but unless you speak up, he/she may think the purchase price is also correct.

Comments (14)