SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orangedaisy52_gw

1950's boomerang bathroom- Resale question

orangedaisy52
13 years ago

I've dreamed of redoing this main family bathroom for 7 years now, and it looks as though we could be selling in the next year or two. My DH is job hunting closer to family as I type.

So this is the main bathroom used by all three bedrooms (the master has a tiny half bath) and it has a tub that came without a shower. The tub surround is tiled to about waist height. We installed one of those add a shower's, so there's a shower ring and large shower curtain. To be quite honest the shower works very well...but I don't think it would be "up to code" since it doesn't have a thermostatic valve" and the steam is causing obvious damage to the most recent paint job, in the wettest areas.

So now that we probably won't be doing a major gut and re-do, I have to scale back and figure out what to do for resale. The options I've come up with are...

1 Leave it alone, just repair peel and stick vinyl floor and recaulk around tub.

2 Keep 1957 cast iron shallow 60 inch gray tub (which is in remarkably good condition for an oldie) and do all new tile, valves, faucets, shower head etc.

3 Remove tub and tile, replace with paneled unit and Vikrell Tub.

4. Corian tub surround?

To compound the issue, there is a wood window in the shower and I would really like to change it to glass block...not going to work with a panel tub surround. I currently have the window blocked by a clear vinyl shower curtain with a regular shower curtain over it.

So all the fixtures are gray, and the vanity top is bright orange boomerang formica. Floor is gray peel and stick.

I of course, just want to gut the thing, but as my DH says...its not about wish fulfillment.

The only other shower in the house is a tiny, low ceilinged basement shower.

My house is in central Indiana, 3 bed 2 bath, might go on the market for 220ish or so. We didn't have a bubble here, but sales are slower than they used to be.

I'd love to hear your advice! thx

Comments (23)