SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meghane_gw

Restoring 1950s bathrooms

Meghane
15 years ago

DH and I just bought our 1950 home and are slowly making changes to reflect our lifestyle and preferences. So far most changes have been limited to paint and a few light fixtures. But what I'm considering will be pretty permanent- bathroom tile.

Both baths have some original features- wall tile, medicine cabinets, lighting. The PO unfortunately updated the floors and vanities and they are just so WRONG for the house. I absolutely hate the yellow and brown tile color in the master bath. The seafoam green is kinda cool...

The master bath. The shower is also tiled in the yellow, but the shower floor has the original white hexagonal tile.

{{!gwi}}

Close-up of the floor with the weird inset.

{{!gwi}}

The other bath. It's a jack-and-jill between the rooms we are currently using as offices. Same vanity and floor, but no inset tile in this floor. Tub is original but has glass doors on it (yuck) and has been reglazed.

{{gwi:1390359}}

I HAVE to change the floors and vanities in both rooms, and since it is a small room would most likely change the tile in the master bath to white and black. The seafoam can stay or go (I like it, but for resale in 5-10 years); I'd definitely restore the floor to the white hexagonal tile.

Questions:

1. I can't remember vanity in the house I grew up. I know there was one, because I remember the extra rolls of TP were in it LOL! Does anyone have any ideas or better yet pictures of period-appropriate vanities?

2. How hard is it to remove shower doors in a tub that was probably reglazed with the doors installed. I don't want to increase the budget by having to get a new tub installed!

3. My inclination is to restore, not update. The medicine cabinets and lighting are in great shape, and I would keep them. I know bathrooms (and kitchens) sell homes, but I'd hate to see an updated bath in this home. Would it hurt or help or not matter to resale to restore vs. update?

4. The seafoam tile- I like it, but maybe white and black would appeal to more future buyers. I could always paint the walls seafoam. In any case, the master is being done ASAP!

5. In both bathrooms, I was planning on keeping true to the original tile design. Sound good?

Any other comments on my plans? I really appreciate any advice, about the design plans or execution. I plan on doing the work myself; I have lots of tiling experience but have never worked on plaster walls before.

Comments (15)