SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
time2sell

Did I Mess Up? Dual Agency

time2sell
16 years ago

Hi All - I just signed with a sellers agent with ReMax. He asked whether I would accept a dual agency with him being the Seller's Agent, but bringing in a buyer or his larger local office of 120 agents bringing in a buyer. That would require dual agency. I agreed to that thinking "Heaven forbid you bring in a buyer".

Also, if he brings in a buyer would he end up getting the entire 5% mutually agreed on. I thought okay "So you get a twofer, I guess that's okay". Should I have negotiated him down at this point? Also am I at a disadvantage here? He said he would be my seller's agent first but have the advantage of steering the buyer throughout the selling process. I made it pretty clear that I don't want to bend to low offers as I think we priced it right already. I made it clear that I don't have to move, and would take the house off the market if the offers were too low. FYI, this is a 2BD/2BA starter house in a so-so neighborhood which I have over improved. I hadn't planned to sell when I remodeled things, but now would like to move to get into more affordable markets.

There's a lot of good in the relationship so far, as he keeps telling me the house is cute and decent and to not spend any more money. He got a little stern about cleaning which is good as he could see I was shifting clutter --- this was real on his part and I deserved it. He also said I could end the contract at any time through an e-mail as he doesn't think either of us should be stuck in a bad relationship which I agreed with. He seems pretty easy going which calms my own jitters.

I just wonder if I ripped myself off??? I tend to read up on a subject first, but then when I encounter things which I am not sure of, tend to cave instead of holding off signing.

(Sorry about the long posting, no easy feat as my cat has been resting her chin on my hand and purring the entire time as she thinks she's getting petted when my hand moves.)

Comments (11)