SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrea_nunes55

Bump out/addition or buy (northern NJ)

Andrea N
2 months ago

I’ll have to share the existing floor plan to give more context on current layout, but here is the question.

In a 1765sqft bought 5 years ago. 3 bedroom 2.5 bath side hall colonial. We are out of bedroom space. Our kitchen layout is also not the most functional (big dining area that has one long dining table. I’ve thrown in other areas around it like a cabinet for storage and another for a coffee bar to fit out coffee machine but looks like a hodge podge of things.)

We DIYed our cabinets a few years ago (new paint) but have very limited space. We didn’t do a full remodel because we thought we would move eventually. Also no pantry. Space is needed with our two kiddos.

To get an extra room in our neighborhood (Morris county) we are looking at 200k over what we paid at minimum and a hefty new interest rate for the time being :) and none I’ve seen at that price point remodeled, they are outdated by at least 2 decades.

We love our neighborhood and because of it are exploring whether we can add some space and remodel/change layout.

We don’t have a lot of space to add to. We can maybe bump out 8-10 feet in front and 4 feet to the side. Ideally find a way to add a bedroom above and a den downstairs.

Is this crazy to even consider, a bump out this size and remodel to stay versus sticking it out to buy?

I have no professional experience here and have not gotten an “idea” or quote with said idea from contractor we met with so excuse this potentially wild consideration.

Comments (14)