SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
helsharmar

Please help me stop spinning my wheels

helsharmar
12 years ago

We are planning a kitchen renovation and thought we were making progress. This is not our 1st kitchen redo, we know what style we want (craftsman/arts and crafts but not sticklers for fidelity), we aren't moving walls (adding about a foot to one wall), we're pretty set with appliances (keeping range, have chosen fridge, just replaced DW because old one broke), and have a color scheme and finishes in mind. We've sketched out cabinet placement. We're pretty new to the area (MD outside DC) but asked around, did some research, read this forum, and then talked to a couple cabinet makers. Thought we had our guy, a highly reputable local custom cabinet maker, but...

He started pushing us to do some things we don't want, and it turns out he doesn't or won't do some things we do want. We like the looks of inset doors, but he won't them; claims they need much more adjustment (I've read the pros/cons on this site). I can live with full overlay but hate those hinged corner doors and wanted the lazy susan with attached door, but he won't make that work with full overlay, even though we had that arrangement in another house. He only does beveled cabinet doors that leave a (visible) gap when adjoining doors are shut, claiming this is needed for temp/humidity changes. They weren't squared off like all the Shaker-style doors I've seen and love. This is the feature that makes the entire look we want. I'm not young and, as I said, have redone several kitchens but never saw anything like the examples in his showroom. I also want some custom details, e.g., decorative corner supports for the island, but when I showed him photos of examples, he quickly dismissed it with "I don't do that." I thought "custom" meant custom; am I being unrealistic? The vibe just got worse and worse and we knew we couldn't work with this guy.

Ok, so now we're back at square one. Not sure if we should start with a cabinet dealer, e.g., find some lines we think we like a let the dealer's KD help us (assuming they have one). Hire a KD first? We're willing to pay for quality but don't want to pay for design help we don't need. When we redid other kitchens, either they were part of a larger addition and we already had a contractor who steered us, or changes were minor and didn't require cabinets. Now it seems like we have too many choices and can't stop spinning our wheels. Advice would be appreciated.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!