SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
snowang_gw

How would you fill the gap in these sliding barn doors?

snowang
10 years ago

I planned very hard to have a double sliding barn door installed as part of a basement finishing project. In order to leave space for the baseboard and quarter round which will be exposed once the doors are closed, we put in a header and side trims even though they are not required. I do like the finished look these extra trims provide. But, sigh....but once the doors are put up, the gaps on both sides are so big they are hard to ignore. The small room on the other side will be used as my office and occasionally I may record a song or two as a hobby but no blasting of speakers and the basement is quiet enough that I probably don't need to soundproof the doors. And most of the time they will be left entirely or half open. But my husband insists on filling the gap with something, thinking down the road it could be used as an extra bedroom (and who knows, maybe he doesn't want hear me sing in the middle of the night either :P)

The gap is a little less than 1" and the side trim is 3/8" deep where we can nail or adhere something. I checked out every type of weather stripping at HD, Lowes, Amazon, etc. Can't find anything that would fit tightly and not too cheap looking. Should we consider a strip of wood trim instead? Should it be attached to the outer edge of the doors or onto the side trim? I've seen quite a few applications of barn doors with headers. Can't figure out from the pictures how they deal (or maybe not deal) with the gap issue.

Comments (19)