SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
franksmom_2010

Exterior paint-please help, I'm lost!

franksmom_2010
10 years ago

I posted this question a while back and didn't get much feedback. I did pick out a red for the front door, and decided on a green for the trim. Now I'm reconsidering the green.

What we DON'T like about the current paint color-1)it's a little bland and boring, and 2) it has a pink undertone that's really noticable in the evening light that makes it look a bit fleshy. The only color choice that we both strongly dislike is dark brown. We've talked about shades of white/beige/tan, and greens and blues, although I've yet to find a blue paint chip that looked even close to right.

The brick can also look more tan or pink, depending on the light. I would like to choose colors that will minimize the pink. The roof is a dark rusty brown.

We have a number of French doors, and I wonder if painting the exterior side one color and the interior another-if those colors are drastically different- will bother me.

Because it's a ranch, there are no interesting architectural details to highlight with paint, although I've seen photos of houses with the soffits painted one color and the fascia another. I don't know if that would be of any benefit in our case. If we paint all of the trim one color, and just paint the doors an accent color, would that look weird?

Here's the house when we bought it:

{{!gwi}}

closeup of the brick:

The shutters were blown off in a tornado, and we never put them back up. I know that they are not the "correct" size, but I think they might be correct for the style of house. Would you put them back up?

Here's the house now:

and the long back porch with THREE exterior doors:

1) What color(s) would you paint, and where would you put the color? Paint everything the same color? Doors an accent color? Would you choose lighter or darker tones?

2)what undertones/colors do I avoid to minimize the pink?

3)Shutters...yes or no?

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz