SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jasdip1

Had a GREAT visit with Mom today

Jasdip
13 years ago

When I went to see Mom, her bed was empty. They out her out to do a couple of tests.

Normally when she has anything done to her, she's pretty wiped out, and is sleeping a lot. When I went back to see her she was wide awake and talkative. We had a great visit. She was smiling a lot, with a full smile. I was wondering if her side of her face was a bit affected, because her smile was usually lop-sided or half smile. Today her smile was normal.

She did close her eyes a few times, and I was reading a magazine. When I'd look up she'd be looking at me, and then do her little grin that she does. I laughed and told her to get some rest if she needed it; not to stay awake. She said that she's tired of sleeping, then she's awake all nite.

So she didn't sleep at all. We had a great conversation, watched some tv, and said nothing at times.

The social worker was in over the weekend and she's trying to get her team of doctors (3) together and all of us have another meeting. This will give us a chance to ask more questions, and also go over post-op care. That phrase "post-op care" is so up-lifting. With all Mom has been through, it's wonderful to think that she can successfully have a surgery and get better afterwards.

With all I saw today, she's definitely getting stronger. That's why she wasn't asleep after her tests. Her legs are coming down a lot, too. she still can't move them on her own, but hopefully that will come.

Today they increased her food to tomato soup....not just broths. She never drank her cranberry juice as she doesn't like it, so now she's getting tomato-vegetable cocktail. Guess what, she doesn't like that either! Jeesh.

I think it's great that they're giving her thicker, more human food. But I told her that she has to eat it.

I'm thinking that she'll need a walker when she comes home.....perhaps even the rest of her life, but that, we can live with. If we can get her legs to co-operate through rehabilitation, hopefully a walker is the most she'll need and not a wheelchair. The house is a back-split and Wally is talking about looking into stair lifts.

Anyway, I'm proud of her, she's doing good, and surgery is supposed to happen this month. From what I understood they're aiming for next Mon to Wed sometime for the family meeting.

Comments (18)