SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brandytab

Help! I'm stuck - and lurking just isn't working :)

brandytab
15 years ago

Hi talented folks! :)

I used to be the owner of a large contemporary house and I *think* I decorated it beautifully and appropriately with wallpaper, wood, bamboo, etc.

I now live in a small 200 year old farmhouse (divorce, etc) and while I LOVE it, I'm clueless as to how to decorate it. The things I'd tried to do so far just fell with a flop. Taupe and black just didn't cut it in my bedroom with under 8 foot ceilings and exposed wood beams!

So that's where I'm at right now. I've scoured the forums, the internet, etc, and I'm just plain STUCK. The room is bare - all casing off, outlet covers off, ready to go and I don't have a darn idea.

Here's my delimmas: The bottom half of the wall is a mess. The previous owners remodeled to the 2x4s and when they put the sheet rock on they weren't concerned about the bottom half because they put up birch wainscoting. And they did a sand texture forest green on the top half. NOT my style whatsoever.. it was soooo dark. The forest green is primed over, the bottom half is just not worth the time (I think) to patch, prime, sand (there's a spot where it looks like paint was dumped on it and the dried drips are thick), fill in gaps, you get the picture.

So I thought wainscoting, white, made with wood. But my ceilings are low and with the beams up above, I do not want to make it busy. What about wallpapering the bottom half? Is that an acceptable look? In my past house I wallpapered the top half of the dining room - but unsure about doing the bottom half. I'm open to any type of ideas. As is, the bed placement is going to be a little odd (in front of two windows) because I can't get any decent symmetry in any other spot. One wall has an entrance door and a basement door, the other wall has a closet door about 1/3 of the way in, and the other wall is blank but with one small (24" wide) window about 1/3 way in also.

*sigh* any help would be great. I'm starting from scratch - just a mattress on a frame and a cute long and narrow table. I got rid of my large scale stuff - it looked out of place in the room.

I love the blues/black toile looks. The vintage look with matelasse and white. Chenille. Fluffy blankets and pillows. Peaceful, billowy, romantic, but not very feminine as my husband would have a cow :P.

You all are my last resort! I didn't want to bother everyone with my BARE room and lack of ideas, but I'm out of them and it's so unusual since I used to be pretty good at coming up with them. I've changed my decorating theme 215 times in the last 2 years since we've lived here because I cannot figure out what works in here - with the low ceilings (the rest of the house is 7.5, I actually have the tallest in my room) and the "work" that the previous owners did which took all of the true character out of the house and left it with bright red kitchen cabinets and wallpaper border everywhere. Thankfully that's already all been taken care of!

If you are still reading, thank you LOL - and any ideas would be appreciated. I'm good with a saw and have a solid tool box. :)

Comments (42)