SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lizkva_gw

Please help with kitchen layout--I'm hopelessly stuck

lizkva
15 years ago

Our 30-year old kitchen is in dire need of renovation--the cabinets, counters, and floor are original and are dated and shabby. In addition, the kitchen feels crowded (we both cook and have a 6-year old who loves to hang out in the kitchen) and the flow is bad (e.g., when you open the refrigerator door it touches the peninsula, effectively blocking entry into the kitchen.) The current layout is one of a U-shaped kitchen area with an adjacent eat-in area that is separated from the kitchen area by a peninsula. The eat-in area is dominated by a large sliding-glass door that leads to the deck. We would like to enlarge the kitchen without paying for a costly bump-out, as several neighbors have done at a cost of over $100,000. The logical solution is to incorporate the rarerly-used dining room that is located right off the kitchen by taking down most of a non-load bearing wall--a relatively minor and inexpensive fix. However, doing so would leave a large and akward empty space in the original eat-in area since the kitchen table would be moved into the newly incorporated dining room. There isn't much we can do with the original eat-in area because there is so little wall space in it--it's open on all four sides. And it's the center of the first floor of the house since it is right off the hallway leading to the front door and is the first thing one sees when coming in the front door. I've tried to fill some of that space by bringing the peninsula out to the edge of the sliding door and creating a breakfast bar with stools but that doesn't take up all the space. My husband and I have tried to wrap our minds around this for many months and see no solution. He will do most of the work himself since he has a background in construction and a variety of skills. The cabinets will come from IKEA. I'm desperate for a solution so we can move forward ASAP (it's taken my husband 12 years to agree to do this renovation and I want to get started while he's still supportive) and am hoping one of you can think of something we haven't thought of. The attached layout from the IKEA kitchen planner is rough but should give you an idea of the proposed new layout--and its problems. One note: there are two pantry cabinets attached to an island that look like they're seperated by a wall--they're not, it's just that we can't make the program incorporate the small protrusion in the wall that we have to work around. TIA

Comments (18)